We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I’m helming the ZINESTER’S GUIDE TO NYC, to be published by Microcosm Publishing in the summer of 2010 and wherever you are, I need your help!

An offbeat resource for intrepid DIY-spirited visitors!
An inspirational assignment! Turn your travels into a creative project!
A NYC omnibus featuring contributions from a wide array of zinesters!
A little paper friend to keep the solo traveler’s courage up!
A funky tool for prying unique experience from a big, bad city!
A wholly subjective Valentine to New York City and everything we love about it!
Something to savor before, during, and after your trip!
Costs less than a NYC movie ticket!!!

HERE’S HOW YOU CAN HELP IF YOU LIVE IN NYC:
1. Let us pick your brains by completing our survey! Share your favorite NYC places, events, flavors, sights, sounds and inside tips! Email me at ayun@ayunhalliday.com and I will send you a copy by return email or snail mail.

2. Send us your zine, especially if it’s in any way reflective of your NYC experience! Include your contact info for our records, as well as information on how guidebook readers can order your zine (presuming you plan to continue publishing through the summer of 2010).

3. Send back issues with anecdotes, reviews, personal encounters, comics, or illustrations of particular NYC interest.

4. Turn us on to your favorite songs, movies, and books about New York City, especially those deserving, but undeservedly obscure ones.

HERE’S HOW YOU CAN HELP IF YOU DON’T LIVE IN NYC
1. Ask us some questions. What would YOU like to know if you were coming to NYC?
The more specific the better!

2. Follow steps three and four above.

By email: Ayun@AyunHalliday.com
By mail: Ayun Halliday – Zinesters Guide
PO Box 22754
Brooklyn NY 11202 USA
Please help spread the word by passing this message on to fellow zine publishers.

x Ayun Halliday, Chief Primatologist of The East Village Inky zine

Views: 7

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Ayun! I just sent a looooong reply to the email address you posted. Hope it helps! This sounds like a great project!
Thought I'd bump this one up, as I know there are lots of new members! Please help me get the word out by circulating this note to fellow zinesters, filling out the survey, and bombarding me w/ questions.

Actually, speaking of questions, and knowing that we're all overcommitted, maxed out, stressed out and push me pull you'd by any number of deadlines, I'm thinking of experimenting with picking your brains one bite at a time. Stay tuned for Zinester's Guide to NYC questions of the week!
More new members (congrats on the postcards!) leads me to bump this up to baseline again! Hoping to have all those surveys in by June 15 so I can get cracking on this handwritten behemoth!
molly tea said:
ooo, is there an older edition already out?

there was a small zine made by the organizers of a NY zine fair held in 2000, which I attended, but remember but blurrily, as I was suckling a 2 month old baby the whole time. It had the same title (the title was assigned to me by Microcosm who also publish The Zinester's Guide to Portland)

So,this one's going to be an inaugural edition, though it has the distinction of sharing a title with a very worthy, useful-at-the-time, now-historic oneshot zine!

PS - if you're coming sooner than summer of 2010, you can ask me any burning nyc questions. Happy to answer em ...and they may well end up in the guidebook for the benefit of those who follow in your footsteps!
Sarah said:
A list of public places that will allow you to use the bathroom without buying anything.
I'd probably buy a copy for that info alone.
Ha ha, great question, Sarah! And that's totally the one place where the big corporate entities (Whole Foods, Starbucks, Barnes and Noble) are deserving of some Zinester's Guide ink! Though those w/ prostate trouble may want to throw seven bucks at an actual guidebook dedicated exclusively to Manhattan toilet options titled, of course, Where To Go
http://www.amazon.com/Where-Go-Manhattans-Toilets-Second/dp/0963358626
Maybe I should write the Brooklyn edition!
Where to Go ,

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service