We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I've recently discovered that there's a huge lack in people in my area that are even aware of what a zine actually is. I'd be incredibly happy if I could find people in Melbourne who were fellow-zinesters, but alas, I'm beginning to wonder if many people even use this site in particular anymore.

So, hello to whoever has bothered to read this. I'm making (and failing at) a disastrous attempt at networking with people on here, although I really don't know where to start. That said, does anyone have any particular tips as to how to get involved with the "zine" scene/branching out to the community?

Tags: australia, community, guys, help, melbourne, ok, please, scene, yep, zine

Views: 301

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been living back in my home town in Sacramento, Ca (USA) for the last year or so, and this is no zine scene here whatsoever.  There is one zinester here other then myself, and a couple people that made one issue years ago and moved on.  It used to bother me, but now I just figure that isn't something people here are interested in.  I don't really know what to tell you about wanting to connect with people.  I've never been very good at having other zinester friends.  The two that I do are old roommates of mine from the bay area, which didn't have the largest zine scene there either (surprisingly since it's such a hub of subculture).

Probably a big factor in your lack of a zine community is that there is a lack of a zine community in most places due to technology and lack of interest in pursuing print mediums.  And I really don't think that is going to change, so maybe instead of being down that there are no zinesters around you, you can see yourself as filling a niche in your community.

That was pretty deep, haha. Yeah, that's gotta really suck. Irrelevant, but I've always wanted to visit Sacramento. But thanks. I really didn't think about it that way. I'm just hoping that I actually get readers, because I came to the conclusion in my media class that print media is barely even noticed anymore, in comparison with new media/technology. Then, I considered making e-zines. But ugh, the humanity.

Heather Wreckage said:

I've been living back in my home town in Sacramento, Ca (USA) for the last year or so, and this is no zine scene here whatsoever.  There is one zinester here other then myself, and a couple people that made one issue years ago and moved on.  It used to bother me, but now I just figure that isn't something people here are interested in.  I don't really know what to tell you about wanting to connect with people.  I've never been very good at having other zinester friends.  The two that I do are old roommates of mine from the bay area, which didn't have the largest zine scene there either (surprisingly since it's such a hub of subculture).

Probably a big factor in your lack of a zine community is that there is a lack of a zine community in most places due to technology and lack of interest in pursuing print mediums.  And I really don't think that is going to change, so maybe instead of being down that there are no zinesters around you, you can see yourself as filling a niche in your community.

You're in Melbourne? Do you know about Sticky? Zine shop in Degraves St subway. Go there, buy zines, sell zines, meet zine people, all your problems will be solved. See: www.stickyinstitute.com or they have a profile on here I'm pretty sure.

Yeah, I've been there! I'm just curious as to how I'm going to end up meeting other zinesters. I think I'd get too nervous to say hello to people. 

Fergus said:

You're in Melbourne? Do you know about Sticky? Zine shop in Degraves St subway. Go there, buy zines, sell zines, meet zine people, all your problems will be solved. See: www.stickyinstitute.com or they have a profile on here I'm pretty sure.

Oh ok, I can understand that! Well I guess just by getting involved in little ways, it all builds up to getting to know people. Stocking zines there, you'll be in contact with the volunteers, and after you've sold/distributed zines people who read them (often zine makers too) might get in touch with you ... or you could write/email/give feedback to Melbourne people whose zines you'd read. There are definitely a lot of Melbourne people who are involved in zines (and probably more than I even know about - I'm in Perth). Also sometimes Sticky has/hosts events where you'd probably meet people (annual zine festival in Feb). I'm sure Sticky is not the only way, but it seems like a good place to start.

Holy crap, thank you. Haha, you've made me feel like I'm less alone in this type of thing. I really have to pop by Sticky again. I just have this constant worry that my zines won't compare to other people's work, and that no one will bother. But I think that's just me being paranoid. :P

Fergus said:

Oh ok, I can understand that! Well I guess just by getting involved in little ways, it all builds up to getting to know people. Stocking zines there, you'll be in contact with the volunteers, and after you've sold/distributed zines people who read them (often zine makers too) might get in touch with you ... or you could write/email/give feedback to Melbourne people whose zines you'd read. There are definitely a lot of Melbourne people who are involved in zines (and probably more than I even know about - I'm in Perth). Also sometimes Sticky has/hosts events where you'd probably meet people (annual zine festival in Feb). I'm sure Sticky is not the only way, but it seems like a good place to start.

Have you joined any groups here on WMZ?. There is a group for Melbourne Zinesters (3 people are in it) and a much larger group for Australian Zinesters

http://wemakezines.ning.com/group/australianzinesters

Yeah, I joined the Australian one when I first signed up. Now I'm just trying to find the Melbourne one. :)

Krissy PonyBoy Press said:

Have you joined any groups here on WMZ?. There is a group for Melbourne Zinesters (3 people are in it) and a much larger group for Australian Zinesters

http://wemakezines.ning.com/group/australianzinesters

Hi Alannah, Luke here.  I am one of the coordinators at Sticky.  I work there every Friday 12 to 6.  Drop down any Friday and I would love to buy you a cup of tea and talk zines for a couple of hours with you.  Or email me at Sticky at: downstairs@stickyinstitute.com and we can take it from there.  Luke/Sticky.

Well that was awfully sweet. I'll definitely email you c:

Sticky Institute said:

Hi Alannah, Luke here.  I am one of the coordinators at Sticky.  I work there every Friday 12 to 6.  Drop down any Friday and I would love to buy you a cup of tea and talk zines for a couple of hours with you.  Or email me at Sticky at: downstairs@stickyinstitute.com and we can take it from there.  Luke/Sticky.

I think its more of a do it yourself kind of scene.Even where I live theres not alot of supportive people in the scene itself.Mailing stuff out and corresponding on the internet are the most successful ways to get to know other people into zines,for me anyways.

Thanks, man. I'll take that into account. It seems that's the most common way to get into the zine scene.

bobby madness said:

I think its more of a do it yourself kind of scene.Even where I live theres not alot of supportive people in the scene itself.Mailing stuff out and corresponding on the internet are the most successful ways to get to know other people into zines,for me anyways.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service