We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

OK.

It has been a while since I put out a zine.

Excuse List: School, work, winter, netflix video marathons of complete TV show series runs (I say just one more show and before I know it, it is like 3 am and I watched 6 shows in a row.)

I have decided that this will not do.

So I am creating "The Zine a Month Challenge." 

The rules of this challenge are simple.

Create and hold in your hand one completed copy of your zine by the end of each month.

You can do this for the entire year or select how many months you want.

Start date is April 1

To join, post a pictures or announcement when you have finished your zine in this discussion

Good Luck

B

Views: 25

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Update:

I am six pages into my new comic zine, and I figure I am on pace to finish it by the end of April.

It is a simple comic style zine about Iron Man and Batman.

The story starts with Batman and Iron Man hitch hiking out of Michigan after the recently elected, Gov. Snyder of Michigan slashes the Michigan Film Incentive causing both the New big budget Batman and the Avengers movies to not be filmed in Detroit like they were scheduled.

(That part about losing these two films to others cities is true...F*ing Snyder)

After some delay, they finally get picked up and find themselves living and working on an Amish farm in Ohio.

That is all I can say for now. 

B

Fantastic idea! I think this is a manageable goal and I intend to participate.

Oh yah...I forgot to mention

You do not have to create an entirely new zine a month to complete the challenge.

You can finish a zine that you have already started to use as your monthly finished zine allotment.

The idea here is to provide a little push to finish our zines.

If I wasn't also in school, I would be down for this. But I totally understand the Netflix thing! I have wasted so many hours watching The X-Files, Doctor Who, and Ugly Betty.
i sooo want to do this..but i know in my heart...i will FAIL miserably. but i could attempt to do it! - yes, attempt to do it..and that way it'll be cheaper to produce a bunch of smaller zines than say..one huge zine of all the crap that youve compiled in your brain and on your hard drive and shit and..oh wait thats just me...the hell wit it...i'm in. until i give up...either way...yep i'm down!

Raequel

Here is a little true story.

Year ago, I was obsessed with writing stand up comedy. I had a mountain of material, which only overwhelmed me. Nothing was coming from it.

So one day I said screw it, and stuff all of my notes into several pairs of shoes and shoved them to the back of my closet. I am not sure why I stuffed all of that paper in my shoes, but that is what I did. Lets just say comics are kind of nuts and leave it at that.

I started fresh without the burden of my sea of notes. It felt good and I ended up coming up with some usable material.

Maybe, the first zine for the Zine a Month Challenge can be a chance to start fresh and then go back to weed through the other stuff to find the gems amongst the clutter.

raequel aka systris said:

i sooo want to do this..but i know in my heart...i will FAIL miserably. but i could attempt to do it! - yes, attempt to do it..and that way it'll be cheaper to produce a bunch of smaller zines than say..one huge zine of all the crap that youve compiled in your brain and on your hard drive and shit and..oh wait thats just me...the hell wit it...i'm in. until i give up...either way...yep i'm down!
yes you do have a point...i dont have notes per se but i do realize that doing the zine a month means that i dont have to make myself crazy about it. i have a big list of ideas to use but i dont have to feel obligated to do it all at once.

b stein said:

Raequel

Here is a little true story.

[[snipped ]]

this is a swell idea!  i've actually already been doing this so far this year, as my own personal goal for the "revenge of print" dealy.  i've got three zines done so far this year - so far, so good!
I want to join in . . . am new to zines, so might be a challenge . . . but willing to jump into the fun of it all. This will be a good goal - one per month.
Awesome! I am going to have to give this a solid shot!

OK gang,

It is April 1st. Today is the kick off.

That gives us all 31 days to get our Zine a Month, zine out.

That is less than say 1 page a day depending on the length of your zine, but I don't judge ziners by the length/size or girth of their um...zine)

Good Luck

Brian 

i've tried to do this on my own.. i did one zine that was literally dated and i wrote a little something everyday.. so yes, it's do-able.. i'm going to try to do this. i haven't zined in months and i miss it.. thanks for the push.. :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service