We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Hey guys, I thought I read a post on the forums before about newspaper style text formatting, but I can't seem to find it now.
I'm looking for a way to format my text the same way the newspaper does.  e.g. there will be three colums of text but the text in each column is all the exact same width. 

I'm talking about how when
you   read  the   newspaper
it has the words spaced out
like    this    so     they   all
(columns) come  out  even.

Does this make sense?  Is there a program that does this?  Is this a built in option in Microsoft Word that I just don't know about? 

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks zinesters!

Views: 83

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's called 'justify'. It's one of the alignment settings in Word - there's left alignment, right alignment, centre alignment, and justify. It should be in one of the visual toolbar when you open Word, but if not go to 'Help' in word and it'll tell you where it is. I use it a fair bit in my zines.

The only problem with it is sometimes if you only have one tiny word in a line, and it's justified, that tiny word will be stretched over a veeeeeeeeery long space.

Awesome!  Exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks man!

TimT said:

The only problem with it is sometimes if you only have one tiny word in a line, and it's justified, that tiny word will be stretched over a veeeeeeeeery long space.

I use justify in all of my zines - it stretches some words about, but overall, it looks so much cleaner to me than the standard issue left and right alignments.

The way to avoid the word stretching at the end of paragraphs is using a tab at the end of those paragraphs. Should have said that before!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service