We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Taking a Zine Workshop to the library....Advice?

I want to approach the library about teaching a zine workshop. it seems like the perfect connection to do workshops in different areas of the city. I feel intimidated because its, well the library! I could use a few pointers as to how to present the idea to them from anyone (especially if youve dealt with the lirary or school district b4!) Should i bring pictures and the result of my one workshop? Perhaps get a few more wrkshps under my belt and then present accumulated materials to show that i'm for real? When i presented the idea to the coffee shop manager it went well with just a brief description. EXPERIENCES! ADVICE! THANK YOU! XD
jeff

Views: 25

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do they have a zine collection? If not, do they have graphic novels or a teen collection? Those could be your in-road. The best recommendation I can give is to sell the positive results: People who are into zines are often people who may not be frequent library patrons, so offering zines and zine programs can bring new people into the library. Another thing I would recommend is to talk about how zine workshops can promote literacy and creativity.

I think it would be a good idea to bring in samples of zines produced in previous workshop, handouts, etc. Also ell them the supply costs for a zine workshop is low. And talk about how other libraries offer zine workshops.
thanks one year later for the advice, i'm moving forward finally with these ideas. :)

Jerianne said:
Do they have a zine collection? If not, do they have graphic novels or a teen collection? Those could be your in-road. The best recommendation I can give is to sell the positive results: People who are into zines are often people who may not be frequent library patrons, so offering zines and zine programs can bring new people into the library. Another thing I would recommend is to talk about how zine workshops can promote literacy and creativity.

I think it would be a good idea to bring in samples of zines produced in previous workshop, handouts, etc. Also ell them the supply costs for a zine workshop is low. And talk about how other libraries offer zine workshops.
Are you trying to get them to pay you? Are you kind of just interested in using the space, or are you looking for it to more officially count as a library event and maybe get it included on official event listings?

Particularly if you just want to use the space, you might want to check their website and see if they have a pretty simple, straightforward way to request use, 'cause some libraries do.

As far as getting more workshops under your belt, I feel like a library should generally be a more accessible place than other places you could them. Unless you'd use more personal connections to set up other workshops, like a teacher who'd let you come into their classroom to present.
I am teaching my first zine workshop at a public library next week. One of the issues you may face is the age range for participants. My class is from age 12-adult. 99% of my zines that I wanted to show have swears, or pictures/drawings or talk of sex which may freak out a parent if their 12 year old grab one and started reading. So I have to filter my collection of 100 zines to like 6 to show at the class.

Another place I think could be good to teach a zine workshop is in a high school or college writing class. A teacher might be excited to invite you in, and have one of the classes say 5 essays per semester be created in zine format. They actually teach a semester long zine writing class at a college in my town.

B
Very cool! Thank you all! I actually found a Coffee shop here that wants to host Las Vegas Zine Library! I'm soooo excited! Donations welcome!!!! Next I'm going to the Clark County Library Collection development department to try to get some Zines there!
Big Times for Small press in the desert!!!!!

LvZineLibrary
c/o Jeff Grindley
Po Box 72071
Las Vegas Nv

b stein said:
I am teaching my first zine workshop at a public library next week. One of the issues you may face is the age range for participants. My class is from age 12-adult. 99% of my zines that I wanted to show have swears, or pictures/drawings or talk of sex which may freak out a parent if their 12 year old grab one and started reading. So I have to filter my collection of 100 zines to like 6 to show at the class.

Another place I think could be good to teach a zine workshop is in a high school or college writing class. A teacher might be excited to invite you in, and have one of the classes say 5 essays per semester be created in zine format. They actually teach a semester long zine writing class at a college in my town.

B

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Xerography Debt / History Zines

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service