We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Submissions wanted for a zine about women and tattoos!

Hello!

I've been thinking about doing this for a while, I've been looking forever for a zine about tattoos but could never find one, so thought I'd just make it myself.

So me and my friend Lydia are going to attempt to put together a zine about being a woman and having/loving/collecting tattoos! I've always felt slightly out of place in tattoo shops, found I get more comments about them than my tattooed male friends, but they also make me feel more confident and have helped me reclaim/accept my body more.

So we'd love to hear from tattooed ladies who've had similar experiences (or completely different ones). Send us anything about being a woman with tattoos!

You can email us at illustratedwomenzine@googlemail.com or if you want to send us a page message me for my address :)

Hope to hear from you soon,

Laura xx

EDIT: Just wanted to add a deadline (thought it would be best to get my arse in gear). I'd really like to get it done for the London Zine Symposium (29th May) so if you could get something to me by May 1st(ish) that give us time to put it all together.

Also, we'll be sending you a free copy of the zine :)

Also: it's going to be half size and we more than welcome pictures or drawing of your tattoos/designs!

Views: 131

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The old and wrinkly line is so misguided and ignorant. I don't care if my tattoo gets warped and wrinkly as I get old, it still means the same thing to me and stands as a reminder that I lived my life to the fullest.
Hannah Faye said:
Brilliant idea for a zine. I have something I can write about for it ... I have a big tattoo on my arm (of an owl/branches/flowers) and one day at an old workplace I had it on show and a random woman I'd never met before said:
"you'll regret that on your wedding day. You won't be able to wear a sleeveless dress".

Because, obviously, as I'm a woman I want to get married, and want to have the perfect traditional wedding look whilst I go about it. *rolls eyes*

And your spouse, who is marrying you, wouldn't want to be reminded that he/she is getting your tattoos as well. Oy, the prejudice!

Yeah, this is pretty much gonna be the best zine ever.
yeah, I've had that one too, but that's why I like my tattoos, I dress pretty 'normal' but then I whip off my cardie and there are load sof tattoos!

and yes! pictures would be awesome! (this applies to anyone)

Hannah Faye said:
I can tell I'm going to love this zine, I feel better already hearing that other women have been on the receiving end of similar comments. I've had the "old and wrinkly" thing too, and the other week "hmm, Hannah, I didn't think you were the sort of person to have tattoos. That changes they way I think of you".

Perhaps I'll have more than one story for your zine! ;) Would you like a picture of the offending article itself, too? (I have two tattoos but one is hidden away on my back so doesn't tend to attract comment).
sorry I never got back to you, the friendship with the girl I was making it with (and living with) got a bit messy and the idea for the zine got lost in all that. I really want to make that one day, but I can't do it now. urgh, I feel really bad for not getting back to you :(

But this zine is defintely happening! And I would love you to write something for it, it doesn't matter how many you have, there are people writing who have no tattoos! If you message me I will send you an address to send this piece too.

Louise said:
I only have 3 little tattoos but would love to write a little piece for you!
I wrote a piece for your other zine, Lust box, but never got a reply from you about where to send it, are you still doing it?
L x
excellent! i really hope to do lust box sometime in the future, i'll let you know when i do!

Louise said:
No worries about it! I will just keep hold of the piece :D Let me know if you ever decide to do it as I'd love to help out.
I'll message you for the address and get writing for this one!
L
x

Laura Wilson said:
sorry I never got back to you, the friendship with the girl I was making it with (and living with) got a bit messy and the idea for the zine got lost in all that. I really want to make that one day, but I can't do it now. urgh, I feel really bad for not getting back to you :(

But this zine is defintely happening! And I would love you to write something for it, it doesn't matter how many you have, there are people writing who have no tattoos! If you message me I will send you an address to send this piece too.

Louise said:
I only have 3 little tattoos but would love to write a little piece for you!
I wrote a piece for your other zine, Lust box, but never got a reply from you about where to send it, are you still doing it?
L x
I will write something! Funny I was thinking recently about making a little flyer or zine explaining some things about my tattoos, and also explaining etiquette about how asking people you dont know the meanings of their tattoos isnt appropriate, so I could give them out to people just so i wouldnt have to explain my tattoos over and over again! (longest, most grammatically incorrect sentense ever) Anyways, I have five and recently got a cover up, and I think I could write something good for your zine.
ha, that sounds like a good idea! as much as i like talking about my tattoos to anyone who will listen, i don't like being grabbed or constantly having to explain what they mean to me (i'm not on bloomin miami ink!).

anyway, really looking forward to reading your contribution!

Korinna said:
I will write something! Funny I was thinking recently about making a little flyer or zine explaining some things about my tattoos, and also explaining etiquette about how asking people you dont know the meanings of their tattoos isnt appropriate, so I could give them out to people just so i wouldnt have to explain my tattoos over and over again! (longest, most grammatically incorrect sentense ever) Anyways, I have five and recently got a cover up, and I think I could write something good for your zine.
I'm a much bigger fan of cut and paste and I'd rather have people's contributions in their own style, I think that's worth a bit of fiddling around on a photocopier. So yeah, send a page to me in the post if you like (message me for my address).

Amber / Culture Slut said:
Should we email you the text or create our own pages? I'm a fan of cut and paste, but I'm in Canada and our paper formats are different, so I'm not sure if you'd mind re-sizing on a photocopier or if it would be too much hassle. Lemme know what you think.
excellent! I have quite a few pieces in mind too, so if you fancy writing more than one we'd be happy to include them all, the more the better really :)

Awesome! I'll message you when it's ready. (I actually have two or three separate pieces in mind, so we'll see what comes out!)
I'll totally write something for this- is a little artwork okay? I designed my tattoo myself and never pass up a chance to show it off.
ooh yes please! artwork would be great, in fact I might add that to my original post.

Ro- The Apocalypse Girl said:
I'll totally write something for this- is a little artwork okay? I designed my tattoo myself and never pass up a chance to show it off.
probably should add this to the main post too, it's going to be half size so there's plenty of room for pictures :)

Wonderful. One more question: Is the format half-size? Quarter-size?

Laura Wilson said:
excellent! I have quite a few pieces in mind too, so if you fancy writing more than one we'd be happy to include them all, the more the better really :)

Awesome! I'll message you when it's ready. (I actually have two or three separate pieces in mind, so we'll see what comes out!)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Xerography Debt / History Zines

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service