We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Submissions wanted for a zine about women and tattoos!

Hello!

I've been thinking about doing this for a while, I've been looking forever for a zine about tattoos but could never find one, so thought I'd just make it myself.

So me and my friend Lydia are going to attempt to put together a zine about being a woman and having/loving/collecting tattoos! I've always felt slightly out of place in tattoo shops, found I get more comments about them than my tattooed male friends, but they also make me feel more confident and have helped me reclaim/accept my body more.

So we'd love to hear from tattooed ladies who've had similar experiences (or completely different ones). Send us anything about being a woman with tattoos!

You can email us at illustratedwomenzine@googlemail.com or if you want to send us a page message me for my address :)

Hope to hear from you soon,

Laura xx

EDIT: Just wanted to add a deadline (thought it would be best to get my arse in gear). I'd really like to get it done for the London Zine Symposium (29th May) so if you could get something to me by May 1st(ish) that give us time to put it all together.

Also, we'll be sending you a free copy of the zine :)

Also: it's going to be half size and we more than welcome pictures or drawing of your tattoos/designs!

Views: 138

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Totally gonna do a page for this.
Ha, no there isn't a deadline...maybe sometime before the summer? I'm not that good with deadlines. So glad you want to write for it :)

Amber / Culture Slut said:
Is there a deadline for this? I am for sure interested, assuming I can get my shit together and write something on time.
yay!

Frothy said:
Totally gonna do a page for this.
This is a great idea and something I would love to read. I'll sit down and try to put together an article for you.
excellent! can't wait to read all these :)

Persephone Pomegranate said:
This is a great idea and something I would love to read. I'll sit down and try to put together an article for you.
i'd love to write something but i don't actually have any tattoos. i've got so many plans but never enough money to get one. i'm hoping sometime this year though..
Tukru - Maybe you could write something on creating and planning the perfect tattoo.

miss tukru obscene said:
i'd love to write something but i don't actually have any tattoos. i've got so many plans but never enough money to get one. i'm hoping sometime this year though..
i face the same "problem", been wishing to get my first tattoo for a couple of years now, but there's always something that keeps it from happening - lack of money, or i can't find the "perfect" design/drawing (and i suck at drawing, so.....), or it just isn't the right time to go to a tattoo shop and just do it.

anyway, when the zine is ready, i'd love to read it! good luck on the project, Laura!

miss tukru obscene said:
that would be a great thing to write about, I hope you get time to put something together :)

Charlotte Lee said:
i might write something for this as well... my ex boyfriend always used to say i was going to regret my tattoos, and his assumption used to piss me off no end. its a great idea, and if i dont manage to get something together then i'd be well into reading the finished zine anyways!
Brilliant idea for a zine. I have something I can write about for it ... I have a big tattoo on my arm (of an owl/branches/flowers) and one day at an old workplace I had it on show and a random woman I'd never met before said:
"you'll regret that on your wedding day. You won't be able to wear a sleeveless dress".

Because, obviously, as I'm a woman I want to get married, and want to have the perfect traditional wedding look whilst I go about it. *rolls eyes*
the amount of times I've had people say this to me, it's either wedding day or when you old and wrinkly. or that they just don't like them, a guy at work the other day told me he thought they were disgusting. anyway, i'll save it for the zine!

can't wait to read your contribution!

Hannah Faye said:
Brilliant idea for a zine. I have something I can write about for it ... I have a big tattoo on my arm (of an owl/branches/flowers) and one day at an old workplace I had it on show and a random woman I'd never met before said:
"you'll regret that on your wedding day. You won't be able to wear a sleeveless dress".

Because, obviously, as I'm a woman I want to get married, and want to have the perfect traditional wedding look whilst I go about it. *rolls eyes*
I can tell I'm going to love this zine, I feel better already hearing that other women have been on the receiving end of similar comments. I've had the "old and wrinkly" thing too, and the other week "hmm, Hannah, I didn't think you were the sort of person to have tattoos. That changes they way I think of you".

Perhaps I'll have more than one story for your zine! ;) Would you like a picture of the offending article itself, too? (I have two tattoos but one is hidden away on my back so doesn't tend to attract comment).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service