We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I have just completed my first zine and my only porblem now is Ihave to staple it. what is the best possible stapler to get.

P.s. it would help if you could give a link

Views: 636

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You want one of these. You may be able to find one cheaper at an office supply store, but this is the gold standard in long arm zine staplers:  Stanley-Bostich long arm stapler
Swingline's stapler is also very good, I've had it for almost a decade now. They sell them at Staples and Office Max type places, no need to buy online.

This one--sorry for the Amazon link. http://www.amazon.com/PaperPro-1610-Long-Reach-Stapler/dp/B0015ZZ3RO

I got mine from my college's hateful office supply monopoly. The PaperPro is a million times better than the Bostich in my experience. It's got some sort of assist so your wrist doesn't hurt after stapling 100 zines.

I have the same Swingline that Erica posted.  Love the thing!

You may see a Swingline 615 saddle-stapler on E-bay, but use caution. These are discontinued, probably because of the cheaper 'long reach stapler'. You can't order the SF-15 staples either, but I have been using regular staples in mine now and have not had a problem. I paid $100 for mine years ago. They are not worth the $200-300 for used ones now. This model actually has a 'saddle' which means you have to fold the pages first. I also have the Paper Pro 1610 Long-Reach which I bought for about $45 at Office Depot and I also highly reccomend this model. If people form a co-op to buy one, all they have to do is provide their own staples to swap the ones in the stapler each time.

I'm happy with my Swingline, but I could imagine how the stapler Dan 10things linked to would be better. I don't think this is worth overthinking. I wished I'd thought more about what paper cutter I got though.

We have one of these at my library, they hold up well over the years and yeah, can do normal staples in them. But definitely not worth it for over $100. We use it for stapling back together more commercial/newsstand types of magazines and it works well for that purpose.

Malcolm R. Johnson said:

You may see a Swingline 615 saddle-stapler on E-bay, but use caution. These are discontinued, probably because of the cheaper 'long reach stapler'. You can't order the SF-15 staples either, but I have been using regular staples in mine now and have not had a problem. I paid $100 for mine years ago. They are not worth the $200-300 for used ones now.

bind it with a sewing machine!

I have this saddle stapler and love it: http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Bostitch-Standard-Capacity-B440SB/dp/...

but other bindings like sewing, ribbon, even a rubber band are awesome too.

I agree with the PaperPro suggestion.  Those things are awesome.  I used one to staple my latest zine and you barely touch it and it staples.. hardly any work on your part at all!
I also have that same Swingline stapler Erica posted. It works great. Lately though I've been binding my zines with a needle and embroidery floss. Looks really nice, binds well, and works if you have more paper to bind than the stapler can get through.
I have the PaperPro 1610 and I love it.  But as Alex Wrekk says, it's a "cheater" stapler because of how little effort it takes to use.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service