We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Because I live in a small town, where probably no one knows about zine, I thought about trying to introduce zine culture around my area... I find it only fitting especially since we will be launching the first celebration of the international zine month this july (did I remember that correctly?).

The thing is, I don't know where to start. bah. any ideas? does anyone else feel lonely and isolated in a small town just like me? haha

thanks guys! have a great day!

Views: 9

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The best way to spark interest in zines is to do one yourself and spread it around town. Make it locally oriented, talk about stuff people can connect to (local music, reviews of local record stores, coffee shops, etc., stories that include local things, etc.). Also include a primer on zines and an attitude that anyone can and should start a zine. Include your contact info and say you are looking for contributors for the next issue. Then print up a bunch and stash them around town at the library, book stores, coffee places, record stores, I've been known to leave them pretty much anywhere for people to pick up. Then sit back and see what happens. I bet you get a couple emails from kids that pick it up and dig it and can get things going from there. That's how it's started with the zines and magazines I've started.

I'd hold off starting a zine library or holding event until you've laid some groundwork to get people enthusiastic about zines by actually reading one. I just think it would be hard to get people to come if they've never read a zine or even know what one is. The best way is to get them hooked by reading one.
this is great. I didnt think about this at all (basically because I'm kinda disconnected to the community... everyone is from a different culture and I'm still trying to assimilate. lol!) but i think this will work! thanks!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service