We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Hey, does anyone know of zinesters, distros or libraries in Singapore, Malaysia or anywhere else in South-East Asia?

Really keen to see what might be around my old hometown. :)

Views: 77

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jason Lee does the zine "Awareness" from Singapore, but I don't know if he's still making them. Cher, who is totally awesome, does a zine called "Two Seconds Notice." She also runs a distro and co-runs the site lioncitydiy.com, which is pretty great. Muhsin, who I got to meet and who was great, runs a distro called Shaded Out Press.

In Malaysia I got the zines "Bebal" (a music zine in Bahasa), "Prasasti Hujung Langit" (English and Bahasa), and Mosh" (English; the guy who makes it is on WMZ). I also got a zine called "Deadpigs" (English) which I think is from Malaysia. I unfortunately didn't make it to the Ricecooker Shop when I was in Kuala Lumpur, but I've head they're great. I did, however, spend some time at the Studio Shop Space in Kuala Lumpur and they had some zines there. (They also had Krissy's zine, "Figure 8" hanging on the wall. Awesome!) I went to a place called Embrace Hall in Johor Bahru that was an infoshop with tons of stencils all over. They carried a few zines. It looks like they are now called Gerila Kafe, or maybe that's an offshoot? I'm not sure.

And finally I got the Philippine zine "I Remember Halloween" and "Peng Ke Shen Me", which might be from the U.S., but it's about the Taiwan and South Asian punk scenes.
Thanks, guys! That's heaps more than what I expected. :)
Rice Cooker was mostly music when I was there a few years ago, I don't remember any zines. It did just reopen I think, and it wasss several years ago, so my information is probably out of date. I did see a few at local shows in KL, but they were all in Bahasa.

There was a bit of a scene in Jogjakarta in Indonesia I think. Or at least I bought a mini comic from someone at an...alternative art fair thing. I am forgetting all the details from when I was there!
yeah it's a nice little distro.

kitty magic said:
i was gonna say shaded out press, because i randomly clicked on their website awhile ago, and thought it would be cool to have some of my zines in asia.
Thank you for your kind words. And yeah zine submissions are always appreciated & accepted at shaded out press. By the way i just received your mail Sally. I will contact you soon. Cheers!

Saling Pusa (I Am) said:
yeah it's a nice little distro.

kitty magic said:
i was gonna say shaded out press, because i randomly clicked on their website awhile ago, and thought it would be cool to have some of my zines in asia.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service