We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Something like writer's block... suggestions?

What do YOU do when you have a zine all laid out in your head- the topics are great, you know what you want to say, you even have the pictures chosen and the layout done- but you can't seem to write it?!  The ideas aren't blocked, but the writing itself is?  You want it to be so perfect, because it seems so perfect in your head, but when you put the pen to paper, it all goes flat?  It's not exactly writer's block, because you CAN write, it just... sucks?

I've been struggling with getting my new zine out for months because of this.  Started and restarted over and over again.  At first I blamed it on being busy and sad, but now I'm not busy or sad, and it's still not working. 

Tips?  Tricks?  I don't care how silly they are, I'll try anything.  I haven't had this problem in a long time so I'm not sure what to do!

Oh, and hi everyone :)  I haven't been around much lately and it's nice to see all these fresh new faces and of course all the familiar ones.

Views: 13

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think you just need to write and write and write and revise and revise and revise.

Or maybe try doing more brainstorming/planning/outlining.

Or mix of up your writing style. Like, if you're trying to explain things straight-out and the writing's flat, maybe try using analogies. Or try writing it as dialogue. Or try saying what you want to say in your zine out loud to a friend and then record and transcribe it.

(Also: http://wemakezines.ning.com/forum/topics/writers-blockartists-block)
Ah, awesome, thanks! I'd been trying to find that thread but I couldn't remember the title. The saying it to a friend idea is great- I think it'll be much smoother even if I just pretend I'm writing to someone. Thanks again!

Dan C said:
I think you just need to write and write and write and revise and revise and revise.
Or maybe try doing more brainstorming/planning/outlining.
Or mix of up your writing style. Like, if you're trying to explain things straight-out and the writing's flat, maybe try using analogies. Or try writing it as dialogue. Or try saying what you want to say in your zine out loud to a friend and then record and transcribe it.

(Also: http://wemakezines.ning.com/forum/topics/writers-blockartists-block)
Hrm, I know exactly what you mean. I've put off writing my new issue for a week now. I've got all the subjects jotted down and I know I've got the content, my last one came together swimmingly, but I'm so paralysed. For me, all I have to do is start. If I'm struggling, I just get it down on paper, lay it out, get rolling. A day or two later, I revise, and if it truly sucks - I redo it. Most of the time, once my jitters have worn off, the writing is usually okay.

So yeah, for me (it might totally be different for you) - just get it down and don't revise until later and you'll probably be less critical.

If something really isn't working for you, ditch it, maybe do it another time - write about something else.

Try a different style. Sometimes I find that something I've been trying to write an article about, works better as a list, or even an illustration. Sometimes I need to change my tone of writing voice. I read other people's zines or even favourite novels to get into a different zone if that's the case.

Write when you're inspired. Don't force it if you're not. But I've found if it's not working and I decide not to work on the zine, I might sit there and brainstorm ideas, or draw, or something to keep the creativity rolling.

Just get it down. It probably doesn't suck as bad as you think it does. :)
I swear reading that, that you've been reading my mind, I'm having the exact same problem. 100 ideas floating around my head, but i open my mouth/put pen to paper and... they stay in my head.

lately my trick for getting the words out ofmy mind and onto paper is to create a happy relaxing atmosphere for myself, so I put a DVD or CD on, good light, comfortable surroundings (issue 1 is being written in bed!!) with a large drink (coffee for me). If I worry about it, the words seem to hide themselves even more.
Great suggestions, thanks :) I've actually seemed to have gotten over it quite suddenly, I'm not entirely sure why... I think it might be the weather's getting better and nothing's more inspiring to me than being outside :)

Lianne Woolley said:
I swear reading that, that you've been reading my mind, I'm having the exact same problem. 100 ideas floating around my head, but i open my mouth/put pen to paper and... they stay in my head.

lately my trick for getting the words out ofmy mind and onto paper is to create a happy relaxing atmosphere for myself, so I put a DVD or CD on, good light, comfortable surroundings (issue 1 is being written in bed!!) with a large drink (coffee for me). If I worry about it, the words seem to hide themselves even more.
I often find that once I voice a problem, the mental block drops and the problem is sorted, just sharing the problem helps. But the improvement in weather is definately appreciated by me too. There's nothing as inspiring as sitting in the park and chilling out. Best time to think!

star blanket river child said:
Great suggestions, thanks :) I've actually seemed to have gotten over it quite suddenly, I'm not entirely sure why... I think it might be the weather's getting better and nothing's more inspiring to me than being outside :)

Lianne Woolley said:

I always write what is in my head first, no matter how rough or stupid or contrived it is. At least it's out of my head and can be reworked.

It's like any form of art. A drawing or a painting or a sculpture isn't perfect as you make it. You need to sketch first, paint a few layers and then add some more, shape the clay. Eventually you will have your perfect piece art, the more you edit.

You will have your perfect zine. :)
Just write whatever's in your head. Literally.
For me, if I force myself to write, I hate it and it turns out badly (in my eyes, anyway)
but I write before I go to bed so I fall asleep faster :D

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service