We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I was looking for zine resources when I came upon a post on yahoo answers... some people seem to think that zines are "not around anymore"

here's the link to the question and people's answers... http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Atg4LoMJyV4HzDOtzhbBr7...

i don't know, I guess it just really bothered me... because here I am trying to see how to get people more aware and involved ot the zine culture... and i find people who actually knows about it but seem to think that zines simply vanished because of the internet. i think it's rather sad.

Views: 9

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's annoying, but I doubt any of those people were ever really into zines in the first place. Even worse is none of the people answering the question took the time to do any research (Research = a quick Google search) to ensure their answer was not completely incorrect. For that matter why didn't the guy asking the question do a quick Google search before asking? It would have taken the same amount of time and gotten his answer that much sooner.
I agree, just because THEY walked away from zines doesn't mean zines are dead... it just means that they didn't stick to it.

My friend Doug and I were joking around with the old XstraightXedgeX saying but putting it to zines.

If you aren't now you never were.
Might just be where I'm at, but the zine community seems a whole lot MORE vibrant to me now than I can remember it...
I think maybe it's a good thing that zines are well-beyond their 15 minutes of fame. There was a crazy moment there in the '90s when everything was so big and the biggest zinesters were getting book deals... the result was an infusion of crappy zines. Tons and tons of people were writing zines without anything to say, simply because they thought it was cool to do a zine. No longer were zines written by the freaks and weirdos, the social misfits and outcasts, whose pain and joy could come out better through their writing then when they talked. It has less of pop culture feel to it now and more of an underground culture feel to it again, and the result has been a lot of interesting, creative and outside-the-box zines.
I didnt even think those yahoo posting people were real.
I thought it was only old people who thought zines died out with the introduction of the internet.
when i gave germaine greer a copy of my zine, thats what her surprise seemed to be based on.
i had a peek at the zine library/distro google map i understand that this may just be one person or one group of peoples thumb of knowledge but at the moment that zineing is a north American thing... wait maybe English zineing is a north American thing does any one know about about the strength of the scene on other languages...
and there is no question zines are not dead
I love that!!

Alex Wrekk said:
I agree, just because THEY walked away from zines doesn't mean zines are dead... it just means that they didn't stick to it.

My friend Doug and I were joking around with the old XstraightXedgeX saying but putting it to zines.

If you aren't now you never were.
e.war said:
i had a peek at the zine library/distro google map i understand that this may just be one person or one group of peoples thumb of knowledge but at the moment that zineing is a north American thing... wait maybe English zineing is a north American thing does any one know about about the strength of the scene on other languages...

probably just one certain group, but what if there are a bunch of little groups like these, giving misinformation to people who are actually interested in getting into zines? isn't that kina scary?

that's just what i think, you know?
Alex Wrekk said:
If you aren't now you never were

a bit harsh but somewhat true :P
Wes White said:
Might just be where I'm at, but the zine community seems a whole lot MORE vibrant to me now than I can remember it...

yeah, where you are kinda detrmines it too... it's dead from where I am at... it was a lot better when I was back home... everyone was doing it underground :)
Ericfishlegs said:
It's annoying, but I doubt any of those people were ever really into zines in the first place. Even worse is none of the people answering the question took the time to do any research (Research = a quick Google search) to ensure their answer was not completely incorrect. For that matter why didn't the guy asking the question do a quick Google search before asking? It would have taken the same amount of time and gotten his answer that much sooner.

he thought yahoo answers was a reliable source? lol.
Aye, its just my knowledge, anyone can add their own zines to it, thats the whole point; so people can find out where other zines are. Also I'm not sure if other country's postcodes work on google maps, which is how I've added the things to it.

I assume you were talking about www.tinyurl.com/ctwgub?

If you were you neglected to spot that there are more UK zines than North American ones included and one Australian one so far. For it to work everyone needs to add things onto it, then it'll become a handy way for people to find people located near to where they live or where they are travelling to and also help people discover new zines/distros.

e.war said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service