We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

How do you ship and package your zines? And how much do you charge for shipping?
I was unsure of how much to charge for zine shipping.

Views: 117

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

it depends on the size of the zine. My 24 page quarter sized zine costs 61 cents to mail inside an envelope. I usually charge $1 for shipping, so it covers postage and the envelope.
Okay thank you that's great information.
what's weird is that i never thought to include the envelope when calculating postage cost. :S

Derek Neuland said:
it depends on the size of the zine. My 24 page quarter sized zine costs 61 cents to mail inside an envelope. I usually charge $1 for shipping, so it covers postage and the envelope.
Thank you for the information!

ericnboyd said:
Size matters regarding this topic. Some zinesters mail their zines off without the usage of an envelope, simply use the cover or back cover as the address label. That's how I've done it in the past. Depending on the size, if you can manage using a standard size envelope, try to use old business envelopes or other used envelopes and blacking out all the old addy info. Paste and/or tape the unused back of scrap paper or an index card onto the envelope and write the address on it that way. An old way of doing it, may save you a little $. Envelopes don't cost a lot of money mind you but if you want to be resourceful, you will find ways.

If the zine is a larger size, again, see if you can find used manila envelopes. You may even find some at libraries, thrift stores. Maybe make a large envelope yourself. There must be resources online, or maybe someone here on WEMAKEZINES has some tips? Now you've got me thinking about trying it!

Currently, I'm giving away a free mini-zine if anyone requests one with their name and address, trade or 1 stamp. I can take the "loss" of using a small envelope because I don't want it to get lost in the mail due to the size. For mini-zines, I don't know, I don't think its necessarily a good idea to mail them off without an envelope but it depends on the size.

I think the average asking price for most zines is $1.00-3.00 US Dollars. Some zinesters include the cost of shipping and handling and postage with that price.

Expect to break even, actually, because odds of you turning a profit of any type when doing a zine are minimal at best. However you shouldn't have to lose $ either when doing your zine, so asking for a couple of dollars, a trade, and/or postage for your zine is fair.

Saling Pusa (I Am) said:
what's weird is that i never thought to include the envelope when calculating postage cost. :S

Derek Neuland said:
i usually just use used paperbags or manila envelopes turned inside out to package my zines
Do you use a stamp? Or do you have to use special postage?

Saling Pusa (I Am) said:
i usually just use used paperbags or manila envelopes turned inside out to package my zines
Thank you.

ericnboyd said:
I think you should simply check with the Post Office. Have them weigh the zine in the envelope. Naturally, they will tell you how much it will cost to mail. No matter what, you will have to spend $ on postage. Like I said, try to be resourceful where you can, sounds like some great tips on packaging here. You can't circumvent paying for postage and shipping and handling. It depends on the size. Have the zine weighed, and then go from there. I would factor in that price plus perhaps .50c-$1.00 for any additional charges. You simply won't turn a profit doing a zine. It depends on how badly you want your zine to be noticed.

Brittney said:
Do you use a stamp? Or do you have to use special postage?

Saling Pusa (I Am) said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service