We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I do Comic Zines (sorry) and have a character in a continueing story who is a person with disabilities.I am looking for some insight and idea's on what it's like,problem's faced within the scene or not,etc.,to add some reality and perhap's understanding to the strip.It is self published,and adult.Her name is Allyssa,and she is a non-racist skinette dating an anthropomorphic cat.If this didn't scare you off,I can pay anyone interested in copies.

Views: 456

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I guess it's like me asking how does it feel to be a Mexican I know mexicans have it bad in life. Punk mexicans have it bad in life especially vegan punkettes, can vegan punkettes mexican lesbians who make sun tea tell me about their lives so I can write about them in a zine. How about no. How about maybe, let them write about themselves. How bout you write about what you know.

I respect your opinion,but i don't think it's really that out of line to try to communicate with people about what makes us different.Even though I think "Mexicans have it bad in life" is a wierd statement,I wouldn't think it would be too out of line to ask somebody a question like that.I write about all different kind's of people,because that's what the world is made up of.Simply writing about what I know would be pretty limiting.How about you quit being so bossy?

hi bobby.  i agree that you should do a google search or something.  it seems like you are not getting the answers you're looking for.  maybe after reading some blogs [or books at the library or something] by wheelchair users you will be able to narrow down what you want the characteristics of the person in your book to be and how that affects what kinds of challenges they face.  is it different?  yes.  of course.  but what is this person doing in day-to-day life?  and how are they [dis]abled?  there are many different ways in which people can use wheelchairs, and many different types of wheelchairs.  

these are just some suggestions because it seems like you're getting frustrated.

Can you do some volunteer work at an assisted living place or with some group homes with disabled people?  You would not only be able to talk directly with those who have the disability and also see for yourself what they face each day. Plus they can use the volunteer help!

that's a good idea.i'm supposed to do volunteer work anyway's.i will check that out and try it.thanks

I -think- Betty is saying that in general, it's good to look up information online first before asking real individual people for their experiences, because people with disabilities may get asked to explain a lot, or educate people a lot, and this can be a lot of work.

In this case, I think it is okay that you are asking in the forum, because I think you are doing your personal best to figure this out. I'm guessing you are also trying your best to be respectful. I think your zine idea is interesting.

I wish I could help you understand more about challenges people might face because they use wheelchairs, but my knowledge of it is not first-hand. I have a disability, but it is a chronic illness and I don't use a wheelchair. Challenges that I know of, regarding people using wheelchairs, are difficulties entering buildings, problems with finding wheelchair accessible bathrooms, being looked at differently or stared at. Another problem is having people assume that the person has mental disabilities when they do not, simply because they are using a chair for mobility. please do look up some more information, because I only know a bit about this.

I do think you misunderstood betty in thinking that they said that "zines are not accessible to wheelchair users." I am not sure where you got that from.


Here's a little bit of info: http://www.dizabled.com/wheelchair-etiquette/

on a side note, why are you sorry you do a comic zine?

Yeah, I do comic zines too, what's to be sorry about?



enola dismay said:

hi bobby.  i agree that you should do a google search or something.  it seems like you are not getting the answers you're looking for.  maybe after reading some blogs [or books at the library or something] by wheelchair users you will be able to narrow down what you want the characteristics of the person in your book to be and how that affects what kinds of challenges they face.  is it different?  yes.  of course.  but what is this person doing in day-to-day life?  and how are they [dis]abled?  there are many different ways in which people can use wheelchairs, and many different types of wheelchairs.  

these are just some suggestions because it seems like you're getting frustrated.

actually,i met a girl my friend introduced me too that has cerebal palsy,and we talked at length.it was cool.i wasn't really getting frustrated,i just thought that instead of actually seeing the question i was asking,people were just critisizing it,and using it as a soapbox for announcing thier opinion's.i personally feel that since alot of people use wheelchair's,it's underrepresented in zines.as a supposedly alternative culture,i would think everyone would be represented and celebrated,regardless,but unfortunately that isn't the case.to me,a google search would be impersonal and not informative enough.

bobby madness said:



enola dismay said:

hi bobby.  i agree that you should do a google search or something.  it seems like you are not getting the answers you're looking for.  maybe after reading some blogs [or books at the library or something] by wheelchair users you will be able to narrow down what you want the characteristics of the person in your book to be and how that affects what kinds of challenges they face.  is it different?  yes.  of course.  but what is this person doing in day-to-day life?  and how are they [dis]abled?  there are many different ways in which people can use wheelchairs, and many different types of wheelchairs.  

these are just some suggestions because it seems like you're getting frustrated.

alot of zine people look down on comic zines,because they are not traditional zine fare.there's no band interviews,or scene report's,they're often lacking personal experiences that are divulged in most zines that you see.plus,most of them are drawn so horribly,i feel obligated to apologize for the entire genre',since it's an embearassment.also,my comic's specifically are so personal they border on self immolation.if you saw some of my comic's,you would know why i'm apologizing for drawing them.

Heather Wreckage said:

on a side note, why are you sorry you do a comic zine?

Well I draw a comic zine too, and I don't think it's drawn horribly.  Plus I have interviews and keep it pretty personal, so there.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Xerography Debt / History Zines

 

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service