We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I do Comic Zines (sorry) and have a character in a continueing story who is a person with disabilities.I am looking for some insight and idea's on what it's like,problem's faced within the scene or not,etc.,to add some reality and perhap's understanding to the strip.It is self published,and adult.Her name is Allyssa,and she is a non-racist skinette dating an anthropomorphic cat.If this didn't scare you off,I can pay anyone interested in copies.

Views: 466

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

um.

i could tell you some problems i know people/i have faced but really it depends what the "disability" is.

She uses a wheelchair

i guess what i'm really wondering about is,are there differences?how does it affect you?are there problem's,or thing's that are unique about it?this probably is wierd and annoying,but i think it's good to have a character like her,and think there is a good reason to give the zine some reality and depth.

bobby madness said:

She uses a wheelchair

I grew up with my mother in a wheelchair and now my son is in one, too. If you can be a little more specific with what kind of problems you're looking for I could probably help you. :)

what about asking a friend in real life about their experience with using a wheelchair. why are you using the person with a wheelchair? I get that you want to address the difficulties in using a wheelchair and disabilities, but it seems you are unaware of the problems faced and want others to fill you in, this is what I get from your post. 

And what is a skinnette, is it related to a skinhead? How can someone date a cat? Is this a transethnic thing?

Tina Armstrong said:

I grew up with my mother in a wheelchair and now my son is in one, too. If you can be a little more specific with what kind of problems you're looking for I could probably help you. :)

Well,not necessarily problem's,but just,are thing's different?Do people act differently towards wheelchair user's?Are there issues specifically facing wheelchair bound people?I just thought it would be a good idea to find out.You could send me info via messages if you want,since it's kind of a personal subject.Thank's for replying.

Noemi Martinez said:

what about asking a friend in real life about their experience with using a wheelchair. why are you using the person with a wheelchair? I get that you want to address the difficulties in using a wheelchair and disabilities, but it seems you are unaware of the problems faced and want others to fill you in, this is what I get from your post. 

And what is a skinnette, is it related to a skinhead? How can someone date a cat? Is this a transethnic thing?

I don't have any friend's who use a wheelchair.I just thought it seemed like a good idea to get some perspective-it's a comic book,but it's sort of realistic.A skinette is a female skinhead.She's an anti racist skinhead though.The cat is anthropomorphic,which is when animal's take on human characteristic's.I figured zine people would be more understanding to such an obnoxious query,is why it's posted here.I hope that answer's your numerous questions.

Hey Bobby, just to give you a heads up, there's a whole complex web of politics related to your question. Depending on who you ask, the response could be very negative because it sounds a little like you're asking others to do your homework for you. There is a ton of information on the internet about disability dynamics and intersectionalities. There are a large number of zinesters who have put out a large diversity of zines on their experiences with their own dis/abilities. I appreciate what you are trying to do and also think it would be helpful if you did some looking around (there's quite a bit of disability 101 stuff out there) and then came back with more specific questions that you weren't able to find. That is the generally accepted etiquette in my experience. Maybe also clarify if you were here to mainly zero in on peoples' experiences in the (zine?) scene?

no shit

I guess I should be more specific-i was looking for insight on what it's like to use a wheelchair,not OPINIONS ON WHAT PEOPLE THOUGHT OF ME ASKING THE QUESTION.Why would I need a head's up that I might get a negative response?I would imagine I would get alot of negative responses!I would rather talk to a person then research them on the internet.Disability 101 stuff sound's really judgemental,and vague.Generally accepted ettiquitte?Why are you lecturing me?My guess is that you are implying Zines are not accessable to wheelchair user's.What an awful way to be.Why are you like this?Please don't answer.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service