We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Thought I'd ask your guys' opinion since there seems to be a lot of queer youth in the zine community....

Okay, so my two friends who are a couple were hugging in the hallway today, while there were straight couples all down the hallway totally making out. This teacher comes up to my two friends and says "you need to stop." So they stopped hugging and were just standing around and holding hands and talking to me and our other friends. Then the teacher WENT AND TOLD THE PRINCIPAL, who was standing in the other hallway, that my two friends were being defiant and the principal came over and started lecturing my two friends on personal displays of affection WHILE THERE WERE STRAIGHT COUPLES MAKING OUT ALL DOWN THE HALLWAY. And, apparently, this is not the first time they have been approached when they were merely hugging. It enrages me that the PRINCIPAL would approach a lesbian couple while they allow other straight couples to show affection. Has anyone else had a similar experience? What do you think of it?

Views: 17

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds awful, definitely discrimination and oppression.

I wish I'd had the guts to even consider being out at school!
They are out. Um, the one's parents have known for years that she was gay, and the others just found out and are not...supportive of her orientation. D:
These "adults" obviously have issues with queer people. If I were you, I would look around your area for queer groups, and let them know what your school is doing. And, if worst comes to worst and there are no queer groups, start your own. You can always do a gay straight alliance http://gsanetwork.org/, or be super hard core and start a bash back junior chapter http://bashbacknews.wordpress.com/.

Tell your friends to hang in there, and to stand up for themselves in the face of oppression. Just cause they're teachers doesn't make them your masters.
I don't have any helpful suggestions, but I do want to put in my support and general agreement that that's awful.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service