We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

republishing your print zine online -- here's one solution

Maybe this has been brought up here already but I just stumbled across Issuu.com.

At a glance it appears that full publications are online here (in a nice format too). Publishers are uploading stuff themselves but I haven't yet determined if any of it is simply user-uploaded (which, of course, wouldn't be particularly cool). But there's a lot of interesting stuff to browse through.

Here's a bit more info over at the Zine Arcade site:
http://www.zinearcade.com/issuu.html

Views: 162

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I took a quick look Zine Arcade, and it's "submit" page, and the impression I get is that you'd have to have high speed & much more technical savvy than I do to submit zines. Also many of my zines have more than 4 to 6 pages so does that mean they won't take them? Or are they just asking for a sample, and may take a whole zine after they look at it and see that it meets their requirments?

I remember seeing in Zine World a few years back, in a list of zine libraries, one that will scan your zine and put it on-line. I've been unable to find it again, but I'm sure it'll turn up with more searching. I hope to get as many of my zines to them as possible. I very much like the idea of scanned zines on-line, that can be printed out (very preferably double-sided, just like the original), but I don't want to mess with getting them there myself, other than snail-mailing them.

I bought a Lexmark scanner/copier/printer/fax from a discount mail order company, Heartland America, but could never get it to work, even after doing my best to follow e-mailed instructions from the company's tech support. This was years ago. Most of the time it just sat there. I didn't have the time or energy to try to mess with it. It was "reconditioned" and somebody suggested I should probably just right it off as a lemon and get another one, but I heard at least one story of someone else who had a lot of trouble with a similar machine.

Somewhere on this forum, somebody wrote that scanning a zine takes a long time, hours I think he said. But this puzzles me because the Xerox machine I use at Staples seems to scan a page prior to printing in a couple seconds, maybe less. Are the processes for photocopy scanning and scanning for on-line storage different? I was enthusiastic about the possibility of my zines being scanned, but maybe it's more time and labor intensive than I thought, so I shouldn't expect too much at this point.

Also, while printing out some PDF's of on-line zines have been pretty easy and trouble-free, others were nearly impossible. Guy Lillian sent me announcements of his on-line zine for years, and I truly tried to download and print them, but for any number of technical glitches, I've never been able to. I even tried dowloading it onto a flopply at my library, whiche has high speed, but even that didn't work. I have no idea why.

I'm trying to be optimistic about this, but I'm cautious at this point.

JND
Photo scanners generally tend to take more time for scanning than photocopiers. I assume it's because they're more finely tuned and gather much more information. Likewise, a color photocopier takes longer than a b&w photocopier (well, at least the last time I used a color one, although that's actually been some years now). Also, I'm guessing the most expensive scanner probably is much faster than the cheapest scanner (and a brand new scanner is probably faster than one that's 10 years old) so a lot can depend on the equipment chosen too.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service