We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Rendering an image in gold ink or paint

Zine friends, I have an idea. I want to make a zine inspired by a beautiful old book from 1909 that I found at a thrift store recently. I'd love to make the cover reference the book's cover, which has a relatively simple drawing of a handled mirror with the book's title and author inside the looking glass part. I attached a sort of lousy photo but maybe you can see: the image and type are in gold ink. Gorgeous! Now, I'm a person who doesn't know how to screenprint (though I'd be very happy to learn). What would you do if you wanted to replicate this in some way?

Views: 26

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Have you looked up any "Gold leafing" techniques? I have no idea how to do it or use Gold Leaf... but it may spark an idea.
I have no help, but I just wanted to say that's a brilliant idea.
I tried to do some google searches, but got distracted by all the things they were suggesting that I might mean instead. (anyone else have that problem?)
Ahh, that is beautiful! I would think screenprinting or stamping would be your easiest option. Gold leaf is really expensive, but gold-colored paint isn't.

I can't wait to see what you do.
could you print in black and white, then color it in with gold paint markers? I'd suggest printing the cover on heavy stock so it doesn't bleed, and color the covers before assembling the zine.

OR, you could make a stencil and spraypaint the gold on the covers. I've done that for one of my zines, and it looks super vegan marshmallow!
my first thought was print gocco, but i don't know if you have access to one.
Hey everyone, thanks for your suggestions. That book is something, isn't it? Yes, a stamp, a paint marker, or even a block print, right? if I had any hope of being able to make and use such a thing. A STENCIL, why didn't I think of that? I think that could come out great. I guess I could trace the picture right from the book and cut that out. Milo, did you use plastic for your stencil or cardboard or ... what?

I have long wanted to use a gocco, but never have ...
This is very much like an idea I have had. I made a few mini-zines, more like storybooks, where the covers look like old books. I carve a stamp out of a bit of wood or foam and then use gold embossing power and a little heat gun to turn it into a raised design. I'm not sure how economic that'd be on a large scale. I'll try to get a photo up this weekend.

Oh, and I'll also send the first one or two out to some people in return for some constructive criticism (or a glowing review).
That cover is beautiful. There is some stuff, i have no idea what it is called. Its a sheet of filmy stuff that comes in different metallic colours and other styles like oilslicks. You iron it on over a photocopy and it changes the black parts of the photocopy into the metallic colour. I got to play around with it years ago, but the person who showed it to me wasn't very clear about what it was or where you get it. I think she said office supply stores, but I've never seen it for sale.
It depends on what the stencil is going to be used for... For zine covers I take a sheet of transparency and cut the stencil in that. I then cut a rectangle out of a manila folder or a box top (anything that will shield the whole cover to prevent overspray) and tape the transparency inside the shield, running the tape fully along all four sides.

Line up the stencil where you want it on the cover page, and try to keep the spray about 12" from the stencil. I work outside when I do it, or in a well ventilated space that's relatively dust-free.

When I've done it, I do the covers first, and after they've dried I then assemble the zines.

If you go this route, I'd love to see a copy!

Katie said:
Hey everyone, thanks for your suggestions. That book is something, isn't it? Yes, a stamp, a paint marker, or even a block print, right? if I had any hope of being able to make and use such a thing. A STENCIL, why didn't I think of that? I think that could come out great. I guess I could trace the picture right from the book and cut that out. Milo, did you use plastic for your stencil or cardboard or ... what?

I have long wanted to use a gocco, but never have ...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service