We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

the milwaukee zine fest is this weekend, and i'm about to make copies of my first zine to put out.
however, the zine was created years back when i was with a serious lover of mine. i made a page dedicated to the lover and our connection together.
years later, and deeply involved with another lover, i'm not sure if i should edit that page or leave it as it was produced in its time.
any advice? do you go back and re-edit things out of old zines for re-production sake?

xoxo-nico.

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd leave it. I think people understand that old zines, in a way, may not even feel part of us years later. but they're still a part of us that existed at one point in time, and I wouldn't want to just cover over that because it's changed. to me, it'd be like erasing an old boyfriend- sometimes I want to, but at the same time, I know I learned from the relationship, especially what I didn't want!

but I also think it's a personal decision.
yeah, i would leave it too. an old zine is like an old part of yourself.
I am a big grammer nut. So when I spot a typo I always go in and edit it. I am also working on adding to a few zines. But I don't think I would ever take anything out. When you wrote that part, it was a big piece of your life. I don't think you should take that away.

Hope I helped!

:)
I say leave it. Zines are like time capsules that exist in a vacuum. You can't erase your past, you can only gain perspective, come to terms with it and move on. And conversely, we grow and change as people so our zines should be allows to grow and change with us.
i'd leave it. i'm more likely just to stop selling a zine rather than edit it. though i have added illustrations when i hadn't gotten them done in time for a show and the zine was really paining me without the. i can see that sometime something i might cut something out that was paining me.
I'd leave it in, but perhaps add a postscript about how you're not with him anymore and your paths have diverged? Something like that would probably just make me stop reprinting the zine entirely, myself.
thank you everyone for the input. you confirmed what i have decided to do!
xoxo-nico.
whoa, writing tired. sorry.

Monstress Zine said:
i'd leave it. i'm more likely just to stop selling a zine rather than edit it. though i have added illustrations when i hadn't gotten them done in time for a show and the zine was really paining me without the. i can see that sometime something i might cut something out that was paining me.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service