I've thought about starting a zine distro before and I'm not 100% sure that I'm organized enough to run one, so I'm giving this a lot of hard thought and research before I even consider it. I tried starting a review zine in high school that BOMBED and I don't want to start a distro just to have to close it a few months later. This is probably a down-the-road kind of deal, but I'd like to ask questions of some of the distro owners here if you don't mind...
* How many hours per week do you spend doing distro tasks (reading zines for consideration, mailing out orders, organizing inventory, etc.)?
* How do you keep track of payment coming in, orders going out, what you're paying to zinesters, and other important information?
* Is it better to run on consignment or pay up front?
* What is the typical start up cost for a distro?
* How do you keep your physical inventory organized?
* Do you do most of your promotion through the internet, paper catalog, zine events...?
* Most distros I've worked with accept assembled zines only, but does anyone have experience with accepting flats to photocopy?
Sorry for the numerous questions, and I'll probably come up with more! Any other tips or ideas are greatly appreciated! Thank you!