We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

How many of you guys use fake names? Why do you or why don't you use them? How did you choose yours? In general, what's up with your alias?

I use Inertia because I want privacy. Every name in my zine is an alias and some of them are more fitting than their actual name. For example, I call my tiny, passive, darling little sister Mouse.

Tags: Pseudonyms, alias, aliases, de, fake, names, non, plume

Views: 598

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ahahaha. I wish I had that kind of parents.

Harley R. Pageot said:
Wait. Star Blanket River Child isn't your real name?

You're suddenly not as interesting anymore.
I used to use a nom deplume in fanzines decades ago, but started using my real name regularly about 12 years ago. Back in the day I went by "Bosco". I used my real name before, but not that often, when I wrote for less risque publications. To this day I use my middle name for writing just because I use my first name for my business work. If I get a letter or a call from someone responding to "Alan", I know they are inquiring about my writing. If they reply with "William", I know I probably did something wrong! And if a response come in as "W. Alan" I can rest assured it's either a zine looking for ad money or a struggling film maker looking for help. Though I try to help everyone who asks, I'm not too generous to just want a free ride.
I use just my first name in my writing. Not that I care if friends or family read my zines (in fact, my mother urges me to mail her copies all the time, which says a lot about our openness with each other), but I don't really think it's relevant or helps me tell a better story to include my last name. I tend to ask permission of my friends to use their first names though, since there are quite a few people in the area who read my zines. I would hate to have someone recognize them in a story if they don't wish to be recognized. So far everyone has been pretty cool about it.
When I started creating zines years ago I used my real name. But now I have a high profile online job and need to have more anonymity than I used to. I don't need my vegan, socialist, feminist views coming up when clients google my name lol.
All those whose mind entitles themselves,
and whose main entitle is themselves,
shall feel the wrath of my bombast!
- Mark E. Smith, The Fall, Bombast.
I instinctively distrust any zine done by someone who won't give their name, unless it's a reall controversial subject. If you want ppl to take you and your work seriously, put your name on it. If you want privacy, maybe you could just misspell your name by a letter or use a first initial instead of your first name. You should also get a PO Box.
I would hope people still take my work seriously when I'm using a pen name. I'm hoping writing will be my future career and I might not necessarily want zines I wrote in high school/university connected to me when I'm older. Also plenty of published authors have used pen names for some or all of their work, I don't see why it should impact how seriously you take it.

Josh Saitz said:
I instinctively distrust any zine done by someone who won't give their name, unless it's a reall controversial subject. If you want ppl to take you and your work seriously, put your name on it. If you want privacy, maybe you could just misspell your name by a letter or use a first initial instead of your first name. You should also get a PO Box.
People to not take seriously: George Eliot, James Tiptree Jr., George Orwell, Mark Twain. Seriously, might want to look at who you're painting with that broad brush.

Josh Saitz said:
I instinctively distrust any zine done by someone who won't give their name, unless it's a reall controversial subject. If you want ppl to take you and your work seriously, put your name on it. If you want privacy, maybe you could just misspell your name by a letter or use a first initial instead of your first name. You should also get a PO Box.
None of those people did perzines as far as I know. That's what I am talking about. I have nothing against pennames at all, I just find it hard to believe a story written by someone calling themself Bunnnnnigrrrrrrrl.

Erica S. said:
People to not take seriously: George Eliot, James Tiptree Jr., George Orwell, Mark Twain. Seriously, might want to look at who you're painting with that broad brush.

Josh Saitz said:
I instinctively distrust any zine done by someone who won't give their name, unless it's a reall controversial subject. If you want ppl to take you and your work seriously, put your name on it. If you want privacy, maybe you could just misspell your name by a letter or use a first initial instead of your first name. You should also get a PO Box.
Well, you DID say "someone who won't give their name," not "someone with a silly pen name." I'm not a huge fan of cutesy names either, FTR.

Josh Saitz said:
None of those people did perzines as far as I know. That's what I am talking about. I have nothing against pennames at all, I just find it hard to believe a story written by someone calling themself Bunnnnnigrrrrrrrl.

Erica S. said:
People to not take seriously: George Eliot, James Tiptree Jr., George Orwell, Mark Twain. Seriously, might want to look at who you're painting with that broad brush.

Josh Saitz said:
I instinctively distrust any zine done by someone who won't give their name, unless it's a reall controversial subject. If you want ppl to take you and your work seriously, put your name on it. If you want privacy, maybe you could just misspell your name by a letter or use a first initial instead of your first name. You should also get a PO Box.
I am 40 years old, I am well aware of the history of zines and I'm offering my opinion. I don't take you seriously when you make up a stupid name to hide behind. I am entitled to his opinion. And quite frankly, I am done wasting my time arguing with kids.

Mulnix said:
If you had any notion of the history of zines you'd realize how ridiculous this statement is. I'd say a large percentage of zines that ever mattered were written under a pseudonym of one sort or another.

Sometimes fake names aren't there for someone to hide behind; they're part of the art.

At least, thts wht "ppl" have tld me.

signed,

"Eddie Mulnix"--(a pseudonym)



Josh Saitz said:
I instinctively distrust any zine done by someone who won't give their name, unless it's a reall controversial subject. If you want ppl to take you and your work seriously, put your name on it. If you want privacy, maybe you could just misspell your name by a letter or use a first initial instead of your first name. You should also get a PO Box.
Well, at least us "kids" are being polite.
(I may be younger than you, but I'm still an adult, thanks.)

Josh Saitz said:
I am 40 years old, I am well aware of the history of zines and I'm offering my opinion. I don't take you seriously when you make up a stupid name to hide behind. I am entitled to his opinion. And quite frankly, I am done wasting my time arguing with kids.

Mulnix said:
If you had any notion of the history of zines you'd realize how ridiculous this statement is. I'd say a large percentage of zines that ever mattered were written under a pseudonym of one sort or another.

Sometimes fake names aren't there for someone to hide behind; they're part of the art.

At least, thts wht "ppl" have tld me.

signed,

"Eddie Mulnix"--(a pseudonym)



Josh Saitz said:
I instinctively distrust any zine done by someone who won't give their name, unless it's a reall controversial subject. If you want ppl to take you and your work seriously, put your name on it. If you want privacy, maybe you could just misspell your name by a letter or use a first initial instead of your first name. You should also get a PO Box.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

 

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service