We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Lately I'm going through ink like CRAZY. and it's not cheap.

I was wondering if anyone knew a really good printer that's not expensive and really good on ink? It doesn't have to be THAT great quality- I mean, all I'm using it for is coursework, and text/images for zines. I'd prefer to have something that scans/photocopies, because if I run out of copies and I'm still filling orders, I like to be able to run off a few. but at this point, I can't really afford to be choosy.

help please!

Views: 13

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ugh, I'm pretty sure things are just cheaper where you are. darn Canada and our ridiculous prices. the one I use right now is an HP deskjet, and the stupid cartridges are $30. maybe I should take a trip over there and stock up...

Adam Icarus said:
Well, I'm going to look at HP printers, for the purpose of this comparison. (The cheapest ones on their site, as well)

Their Deskjet D1660 costs $30, and a basic black cartridge will cost you $15 and is rated at 200 pages.
The Laserjet P1005 costs $130, and their black cartridge will cost you $68, but will last for 1500 pages.

To get the same page yield from the deskjet, you'd have to purchase 7.5 of the ink cartridges, bringing the total up to $112.50. So, eventually, the laserjet would be more cost effective. Then again, that particular laserjet is black only, and the deskjet will print color if you buy additional ink. (Color laserjet's cost a good bit more than this one)

With all that in mind, it seems like you're going to be stuck with getting an ink printer if you're strapped for cash, but if you can manage to find a sale in your area on a laser printer, that's what I'd recommend. Brand wise, I've never had an issue with Canon or HP, though neither seem to take cross country moves very well.
haha, thanks... I think I'll probably just be broke and not be able to do trades when I run out of money. such is the life of a student/zine-er... I should know that I never profit by now, but I always pray for breaking even.

Adam Icarus said:
Well, that was just off their site, so I've no idea about shipping and handling, or if they refer you to a Canadian site or something. Going off of the Canadian site, the laserjet I was talking about is actually on sale... Just look around. You'll find something that works for you. I'll post any Canada deals, if I randomly stumble upon them. (Because that's a common occurrence for me, stumbling on printers being sold from Canadian stores.)
star blanket river child said:
ugh, I'm pretty sure things are just cheaper where you are. darn Canada and our ridiculous prices. the one I use right now is an HP deskjet, and the stupid cartridges are $30. maybe I should take a trip over there and stock up...
Once you get past the initial cost, you'll find that a laser printer is radically less expensive per-page than inkjet. And there are ways around the initial cost --- you mention being a student? Is this college? Many colleges either have a surplus property center where they sell old equipment or have occasional sales to get rid of stuff. Many government entities have as well. My current laser printer I got for a song when Pfizer told the local community "Screw you guys, we're outta here!" and liquidated a massive pile of office equipment. Keep an eye open, and you might be surprised by what you can scrounge up.
oh, thanks, that's a great idea. I'll keep an eye out at my university. thanks for the suggestion!

St. Joshua Norton Press said:
Once you get past the initial cost, you'll find that a laser printer is radically less expensive per-page than inkjet. And there are ways around the initial cost --- you mention being a student? Is this college? Many colleges either have a surplus property center where they sell old equipment or have occasional sales to get rid of stuff. Many government entities have as well. My current laser printer I got for a song when Pfizer told the local community "Screw you guys, we're outta here!" and liquidated a massive pile of office equipment. Keep an eye open, and you might be surprised by what you can scrounge up.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service