We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

The zines I've gotten have been in padded envelopes, but I recently discovered some quarter-page sized envelops that my mom used to use to send cards. I stuck quarter zine in (17 Strangers. Thanks, Katie!) and weighed it. 1.5 oz, which could be sent using a 60 cent stamp.

Is it safe to send zines this way? because the zines I get usually come in manila or padded envelopes with $1.39 postage.

Views: 30

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just don't want to pay for the extra postage. I threw the other one out cause it was dead, but I plan on reusing the other ones I get.
I tend to just use normal envelopes of the right size. If I'm sending a lot of zines to one person I might use a re-used padded envelope. I normally decorate the envelopes with rubber stamps.
i use manilla envelopes. some of them are re-used, some of them are new.
Amber / Culture Slut said:
I've never understood why people send zines in padded mailers.

this!
Emma Jane Falconer said:
These are the things. http://www.chroniclebooks.com/index/main,book-info/store,books/prod...

Emma Jane Falconer said:
I've got envelopes with pretty designs that come flat in a pad, and you tear them out, fold them along the lines and lick the glue to seal them. They're called something like Fold n Mail and they come in loads of different pictures. I've got Yellow Submarine, Nancy Drew and the Pink Panther. They're the perfect size for quarter size zines, are made of stiffish paper that protects the zines, and everyone seems to like receiving them.

woah. want!!
eight dollars, though? Ouch. The rubber stamps is a good idea. I might do that.
I'm thinking of trying to exploit postcards more often to save money (and to "protest" the rate hikes.)

I know the maximum and minimum sizes and thickness (4.25 x 6, 3.5 x 5, .007, inches). But it gives only one width, not a range, as it does with height and length.

I'd like to use as thick a paper or board as possible, to insure it doesn't get mutilated. What would that be, and what POUND of cardstock would it be? I've seen cereal boxes and similar cardboard used. Is there cardstock that thick? Of course, I'd have to do some calculation to see that the cost of my homemade card doesn't offset my savings too much.

Do you think it would be allowable to paste paper on a postcard. Sometimes I might like to type a message, and doing that can be difficult on cardstock or board.

I suspect that the more people who start exploiting postcards the more likely the PO will be to retaliate by eliminating or severely restricting them. But at least I can get a little mileage out of them for now.
James N. Dawson said:
I'm thinking of trying to exploit postcards more often to save money (and to "protest" the rate hikes.)

I know the maximum and minimum sizes and thickness (4.25 x 6, 3.5 x 5, .007, inches). But it gives only one width, not a range, as it does with height and length.

I'd like to use as thick a paper or board as possible, to insure it doesn't get mutilated. What would that be, and what POUND of cardstock would it be? I've seen cereal boxes and similar cardboard used. Is there cardstock that thick? Of course, I'd have to do some calculation to see that the cost of my homemade card doesn't offset my savings too much.

Do you think it would be allowable to paste paper on a postcard. Sometimes I might like to type a message, and doing that can be difficult on cardstock or board.

I suspect that the more people who start exploiting postcards the more likely the PO will be to retaliate by eliminating or severely restricting them. But at least I can get a little mileage out of them for now.
agreed

amy // twelveohtwo said:
Amber / Culture Slut said:
I've never understood why people send zines in padded mailers.

this!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service