We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Portland Zine Symposium this weekend! Who's going?

For those who don't know, the 10th Annual Portland Zine Symposium is happening this coming weekend at the Peter W. Stott gym at Portland State University August 28th from 10am-5pm and August 29th from 10am-4pm: http://pdxzines.com/

Who is going to be there? what will you have there? what are you most excited for?

I will be there with my zines, All Things Ordinary #1-3.  I will also have free buttons for my blog http://www.overglued.com, as well as a box where people can drop off zines to be reviewed on Overglued.

I am most excited about tabling, as I have never tabled with one of my zines before.  Besides that, I'm excited about the zine distro workshop and the zinester's feud game Saturday night.

Tags: portland, symposium, zine

Views: 31

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I too can't find the info on the IPRC site. hmmm....
i am going to be teaching yoga on saturday morning and be around a bit... but i did not finish my zine...
I think It is going to be at 7ish.

Kate Haas said:
Alex, what time is the open mic at IPRC? I couldn't find any mention of it on their website or the Symposium site. Am I missing something? Thanks.

Alex Wrekk said:
I'll be at the symposium! I'm an organizer and this is a busy week!I have (technically) our last meeting tonight and then a contingent of 4 UK kids get in tonight. Tomorrow we have the first reading for the Zines On Toast tour. Friday we have an open house and open mic zine reading at the Independent Publishing Resource Center.

Saturday is the first day of the symposium. The workshops are now posted here. Saturday night we have Zinester Feud! It's like Family Feud (or Family Fortunes in the UK) If you have a minute I would love it if you could fill out the survey we have here asking questions about ziney things. That way, even if you can't make it to the symposium, you'll have a hand in making it great.

Sunday is the second day of tables and workshops. After that...my band plays with other zine and comic bands: The Tagalongs and Fun Yeti .Steve larder from Rum Lad zine has been hanging out at my house until the Zines On Toast tour and we decided to start a zine band! We have three songs recorded and ready and a 4th and possibly a 5th to play at the show. The set is like a zine with an intro song full of excused for why the band/zine is late, a likes/dislikes song, a song about stealing copies and an outro song! I'm excited and nervous. This band is the musical equivalent to 24 hour zine!
I'll be there! I am finishing up a new Imaginary Life and will have other stuff. Come by for some free We Make Zines postcards and buttons!
This is in 10 hours! i can't wait!
I am having a great time at the symposium! Zinester's Feud was a lot of fun. Today I'm co-moderating a 'workshop' (discussion) about issues regarding zines & libraries. And on Monday a group of us librarians are getting together to talk about stuff and work on adding zines we picked up at PDX to ZineWiki!
I will write more soon, but for now here are my pictures of zines I got (sorry for the poor quality, my camera wasn't working and this is from my phone):

Day 1

Day 2

I am SO jealous. How I wish I could have been there!

Derek Neuland said:
I will write more soon, but for now here are my pictures of zines I got (sorry for the poor quality, my camera wasn't working and this is from my phone):

Day 1

Day 2

star blanket river child said:

there's always next year!
That's true! It's a bit far for me, but if I start planning far enough in advance, maybe I can make it out. I'd absolutely love to, it looks so incredible. :D I'm glad so many people here went!

Derek Neuland said:

NO excuses about how far away you are! There were folks from the UK, France, Canada and Australia at the Symposium!

That's true! It's a bit far for me, but if I start planning far enough in advance, maybe I can make it out. I'd absolutely love to, it looks so incredible. :D I'm glad so many people here went!

Derek Neuland said:

Ahaha, true, but being a poor student without a car makes it a bit trickier. I'm glad to hear people came from so many places, that's wicked! I really hope if I plan far enough in advance I'll be able to make it one year- hopefully next one!

NicoleIntrovert said:
NO excuses about how far away you are! There were folks from the UK, France, Canada and Australia at the Symposium!

Derek Neuland said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service