We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

So I was just checking out prices on PO boxes....

WOW.

like, waaaay too much money for a little fricken' box in your possession for a year.

are there any cheaper alternatives, you think? Any tips from fellow zinesters who are broke and  have something to say on this? How safe is it within the zine community to give out your home address to those you trust?

Tags: POboxes, USPS, broke, money, zines

Views: 208

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yah they're expensive huh. I got one once I started getting a lot more mail - until then I just tried to screen who I gave my address out to.

I give out my home address, but then again I live on a tiny island in the middle of the Irish sea so I'm not too worried.

hm. Might try home address for now....

Tee Rex said:

Yah they're expensive huh. I got one once I started getting a lot more mail - until then I just tried to screen who I gave my address out to.

I give out my home address too. I'm not that worried about it. lol

Novadon Moon said:

I give out my home address, but then again I live on a tiny island in the middle of the Irish sea so I'm not too worried.

Have you thought about sharing a box with someone?  You can put more than one name on it.

You just need to be sure that you both check the mail carefully.

Ah, good idea! I'll look into that.

Seren said:

Have you thought about sharing a box with someone?  You can put more than one name on it.

You just need to be sure that you both check the mail carefully.

$20 for six months is too expensive?  That's less than $4 a month.

I've used my home address for years, nothing bad ever happened.  The problems come in when you move and the old address is on your work.

It's worse in the UK- a box costs £150 for a year now- that's about $200. I felt fine about giving out my address when I lived in a small obscure town that no creepy stranger would bother to visit. I felt differently about it when I was living in London though, it suddenly seemed far too easy to be doorstopped. For a while I was using a studio at an arts place, and using their address as c/o and they didn't mind at all, but when I finished there of course I couldn't do that any more.

Search postal locations around your area, all post offices offer different prices.  My local town's post office has expensive PO Boxes, but the town next to me had them for half the price my town was charging for. 

I have had my post box for years and it was around $50 or $60. I just got an e-mail about paying for next year and it costs $76 this year! I think I'm going to close the box and just get all my mail at the Portland Button Works and zine distro shop.

yeah, it's stupid expensive :P

Alex Wrekk said:

I have had my post box for years and it was around $50 or $60. I just got an e-mail about paying for next year and it costs $76 this year! I think I'm going to close the box and just get all my mail at the Portland Button Works and zine distro shop.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service