We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Okay guys, I finally got around to figuring out PayPal. I purchased a few awesome things I'd been eying on Etsy, and thought everything was going great.

And then I got an email saying my account had been limited. (And limited, it seems, really means... shut down.)

Now, I'm new to PayPal. Signed up two days ago. And I'm not exactly internet buying savvy. I can't understand the steps to fix it, or really why it happened. I emailed PayPal for help, but they simply sent me back the instructions that are on the site, and apologized. I would call them, but they're not open during times I'm not in school/work for the next few days, and they've put a lock on my last two transactions, which I'd like to have completed.

If anyone's experienced this, or is just really familiar with PayPal (I know there's a few of you out there!) and could explain how to solve this in simple language, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do you know why your account was limited? Once I sent a payment to an address that didn't exist and then cancelled the payment and Paypal put my account on hold (or something to that effect) for a week or so. After that week it was back to normal.
I'm not too sure 'cause I never had a problem with mine. but have you confirmed your account? i remember my friend having problems because he didnt confirm his account and something about how paypal connects to his bank account... i'm not sure though. Sorry. wish i could help :S
In the Uk they deposit two amounts of money below £0.10 in your bank account and then ask you to confirm the amounts to check it's really your bank account, before they do that they regard you as unconfirmed. Maybe there's a step like that you need to complete for a US account.
THey do that in the US as well.

Also... be EXTREMELY careful with emails from "Pay Pal". You will get a TON of phishing emails from people pretending to be Pay Pal. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER type in your info from these emails. ONLY go straight to paypal.com to log in.

Emma Jane Falconer said:
In the Uk they deposit two amounts of money below £0.10 in your bank account and then ask you to confirm the amounts to check it's really your bank account, before they do that they regard you as unconfirmed. Maybe there's a step like that you need to complete for a US account.
No idea. Everything looked fine to me, and they didn't offer me any information at all.

Sabrina said:
Do you know why your account was limited? Once I sent a payment to an address that didn't exist and then cancelled the payment and Paypal put my account on hold (or something to that effect) for a week or so. After that week it was back to normal.
thanks... I have confirmed, but I haven't connected it to my bank account because it said that was optional and I don't really feel comfortable messing around with my bank info online.

I Am said:
I'm not too sure 'cause I never had a problem with mine. but have you confirmed your account? i remember my friend having problems because he didnt confirm his account and something about how paypal connects to his bank account... i'm not sure though. Sorry. wish i could help :S
Okay... they had asked me to do that once but said it was optional, and I didn't really feel comfortable doing stuff with my bank information. And they never asked me again, so I figured it really WAS optional. Strange.

Emma Jane Falconer said:
Thanks. I have been, but it's good to know you get pretend emails, I'd never even thought of that.

NicoleIntrovert said:
THey do that in the US as well.

Also... be EXTREMELY careful with emails from "Pay Pal". You will get a TON of phishing emails from people pretending to be Pay Pal. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER type in your info from these emails. ONLY go straight to paypal.com to log in.

Emma Jane Falconer said:
I can't really help you because I had a situation just as confusing as yours and gave up on PayPal. All I can offer is commiseration, for what it's worth.

http://wemakezines.ning.com/forum/topics/paypal-my-confusing-signup

I've also gotten TWO e-mails from "PayPal" telling me they've frozen my account, but as Nicole warns, this may well be a "phishing" attempt to steal access to your bank account.

I honestly don't know why I have some much trouble with these things and others don't. I guess I'm especially "cyber-stupid". But it's just ONE frustration with the Net, computers, etc., that makes me "cling" to the old ways.
Haha, thanks, I feel the same way, though it's less "excusable" at my age. People just assume since I'm a young person, I'm good with computers and internet issues. And I'm not, at all. I have the worst luck with these things. Thanks for the sympathy!

James N. Dawson said:
I can't really help you because I had a situation just as confusing as yours and gave up on PayPal. All I can offer is commiseration, for what it's worth.

http://wemakezines.ning.com/forum/topics/paypal-my-confusing-signup

I've also gotten TWO e-mails from "PayPal" telling me they've frozen my account, but as Nicole warns, this may well be a "phishing" attempt to steal access to your bank account.

I honestly don't know why I have some much trouble with these things and others don't. I guess I'm especially "cyber-stupid". But it's just ONE frustration with the Net, computers, etc., that makes me "cling" to the old ways.
when i transfer funds into my paypal account, it takes 3-5 business days to clear..

and i also seem to remember.. either with etsy or paypal [i set them both up the same day] that you are only allowed 2 purchases for the first time.. when those are finalized and cleared, than you can make more purchases at one time..
I just got an e-mail saying a $700 dollar purchase of a Dell laptop has been made on my account. I don't even remember my username and I'm not sure what password I use with them. There is a "cancel transaction" button, but I'm afraid to click it because it might be a trick to get electronically stored personal info from me. I thought of forwarding it to here, but then I thought that might not be wise, because it could have info I don't want anybody to see---passwords, etc. I thought of forwarding it to PayPal for them to either confirm or deny as a scam, but their e-mail address is hidden, and they have this little tiny box and limited number of characters to try to "describe" the big, complex e-mail in. They have a customer service phone number, but again, what a drag trying to explain what it "looks like" to somebody on the phone. I guess I'll show it to a few people I know savvier than I am and hope they can advise me. What a hassle and drag on my time. Anybody still not understand why I just prefer cash in envelopes dropped into mail slots?
Ah, sweet, luddite, simplicity.

Awkward Stage said:
i got an email from "paypal" last week saying my account had been limited and that strange purchases had been made on my credit card. i found this interesting considering my credit card is always maxed out, so i signed into paypal to look and nothing was out of place. when i clicked the link in the email telling me where to go to fix my account, my internet security told me it was a known fraud. seems to be all the rage right now.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service