We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

i'm not sure if this has ever been mentioned on here before, but i just thought of it because i was thinking about distros and all their guidelines. i'm not sure what to think about saying "no racist, sexist, homophobic, etc etc material will be accepted". i mean aren't zines supposed to be the one place where you can say what you want? is this just some other form of censorship? surely everything written is offensive to someone right?

i just feel really censored and uninspired right now, like i can't really say what i want to say without hurting someone's feelings and that really sucks. i mean, the distro thing doesn't really bug me, but just the fact that their are so many rules even in zines, just makes me irritated. can i really be offensive if i am talking about my own experiences? sometimes i want to write about types of people that annoy me or things they do, but then i'm racist or sexist or whatever. i'm not really sure i'm explaining how i feel properly. oh well.

Views: 190

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't see why you can't make a point without being rude.

tim scannell said:
oh yes..., it is all soooooooooooooo inane. even chrissy pony or pinto boy or whoever she is gets her knickers in a twist and censors me...i mean..., it's the GONG SHOW on the internet...haha...it tickles me, frankly...but i do exactly as i choose in my zines....and i edited a poetry zine for ten years...MUSE OF FIRE...and excluded any of the 10,000 poems submitted that i did not LIKE!!....so what's NEW!!

Joseph Delgado said:
and thats the way it should be. its funny how inovative thought still ruffles feathers, especially of old tired guards of the order. cocoapuss is simply questioning, nothing different in terms of what we as humans do on a constant basis. its funny how her question and discussion would 'shake' the foundations of your being so much. perhaps she hit a nerve?

ciaraxyerra said:
"homogenized & insular"? if this website has been good for one thing, it has been good for proving that the zine community right this second is anything but homogenized & insular. for better or for worse.
who's being...'rude'...??? sarcasm is good debating point.....send me your zine joe and i'll send mine...as to the 'debate'...well...not really...'ur'...e.g., means 'plinth' and 'bedrock'...i'm tryin' to steer everybody there...but...:):)

Joseph Delgado said:
i disagree, no ones being rude. we are just having a debate, a heated one yes, but a debate nontheless.

star blanket river child said:

tim scannell said:
is...star blanket mississippi babe'...being 'rude'''....why sure...join in s.b.m.b, com' on in...the water's fine...:)...no suits allowed!!!!!...:):)...'in debate..., that's called a 'barb'!

tim scannell said:
who's being...'rude'...??? sarcasm is good debating point.....send me your zine joe and i'll send mine...as to the 'debate'...well...not really...'ur'...e.g., means 'plinth' and 'bedrock'...i'm tryin' to steer everybody there...but...:):)

Joseph Delgado said:
i disagree, no ones being rude. we are just having a debate, a heated one yes, but a debate nontheless.

tim scannell said:
no one else is being rude. I think if we're going to refer to people we can at least get their names right.

Joseph Delgado said:

tim scannell said:
... I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

tim scannell said:
is...star blanket mississippi babe'...being 'rude'''....why sure...join in s.b.m.b, com' on in...the water's fine...:)...no suits allowed!!!!!...:):)...'in debate..., that's called a 'barb'!

tim scannell said:

Joseph Delgado said:

tim scannell said:
Someone find out what drug Tim Scannell is on so I can stay far, far away from it.

I really don't understand this thread at all. Nobody is saying that anyone can't write about whatever it is they want to write about. If you don't care about distros carrying your zines, then why even read the guidelines? Nobody is censoring anybody. Some of you really need to chill the hell out.
fresh air...:)

Erica S. said:
Someone find out what drug Tim Scannell is on so I can stay far, far away from it.

I really don't understand this thread at all. Nobody is saying that anyone can't write about whatever it is they want to write about. If you don't care about distros carrying your zines, then why even read the guidelines? Nobody is censoring anybody. Some of you really need to chill the hell out.
oh..., no..., you are right E.S...., i REALLY DON'T care a fig about distros.

tim scannell said:
fresh air...:)

Erica S. said:

Tim, have you ever looked into things like constructing a coherent argument, or perhaps not grossly overusing ellipses?
um..., why, do you have, uh..., objections to...: ...?

helenomicon said:
Tim, have you ever looked into things like constructing a coherent argument, or perhaps not grossly overusing ellipses?
erm..., BOO!

helenomicon said:
final say on conflated topic first is that distro content is a function of distro owner second is that zine content is a function of zinster and lastly that the topics are separate & distinct and foolish to conflate..., period

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Xerography Debt / History Zines

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service