We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

http://www.nyczinefest.org/

At the Brooklyn Lyceum
Saturday and Sunday, June 27th and 28th
12pm - 7pm
Table registration deadline is May 30th

Tabling is expensive, so I probably won't be tabling. I'll definitely show up, though.

Anyone else plan to go or table?

Views: 16

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, that kinda turned me off. I don't get it.

Amber / Culture Slut said:
Wow! Why are the tables so expensive? $40-$80 per day?! The most I've ever paid was $15, and I thought that was pretty steep for the amount of space I was given.
That's how much tables at SF Zine Fest if you don't register early D:

But still!!
WOW... $40 is one day only for a 4' table too!!! YIKES!

Sorry... way out of my price range for tabling at a fest. That makes me feel much better about the prices we charge for the Richmond Zine Fest.
HOLY CRAP, tabling is expensive! paper trail would definitely need at least one eight foot table, but $150 for a table that size for the weekend?!?! are they kidding? i only make $300 at an average zine fest. that's nothing to sneeze at, but i wouldn't want to turn around & have to pay half my take just for the tabling fee! i have to do mad crazy re-stocks after tabling at a zine event, i need that money to order more zines! that is ridonkulous for a zine fest. charge that much for a craft fest, where people are charging $20 for a screenprinted t-shirt. but zines are like $2 each.

i'm thinking they must be paying for the space & for table rentals. that's the only thing i can think of that would justify that kind of table expense. i would have considered attending if it wasn't so pricy.
Yeah, I made about $250 at the Boston zine fest one year, but that was when I stayed both days. If I table at the NYC fest, I'll only be staying a day because we'd be driving in and then going home afterwards. So it's not worth it for me to get a table there at all. And I am hoping the jacked-up prices are to pay for the space and tables, but it still seems high.

This is annoying because I've been hoping someone would do another zine fest closer to where I live. Too bad about the prices.

ciaraxyerra said:
HOLY CRAP, tabling is expensive! paper trail would definitely need at least one eight foot table, but $150 for a table that size for the weekend?!?! are they kidding? i only make $300 at an average zine fest. that's nothing to sneeze at, but i wouldn't want to turn around & have to pay half my take just for the tabling fee! i have to do mad crazy re-stocks after tabling at a zine event, i need that money to order more zines! that is ridonkulous for a zine fest. charge that much for a craft fest, where people are charging $20 for a screenprinted t-shirt. but zines are like $2 each.

i'm thinking they must be paying for the space & for table rentals. that's the only thing i can think of that would justify that kind of table expense. i would have considered attending if it wasn't so pricy.
Even with paying to rent a venue last year which was $1000 rental... the Richmond Zine Fest made that charging $10 for a half, $20 for a whole and $35 for two 6' tables. In addition we did other fundraisers like shows/yardsales/bizarre markets to supplement the rental fees and have more involvement in the community.

This year we kept the tables the same price and the venue is taking a percent, plus we will more than likely need to rent tables at an extra cost. I think that this is more than reasonable. And we just added a flat $10 for tabling both days.

I would also need an 8' and can't even imagine paying $150 for two days... when that'd probably be somewhat around what i'd make!
yikes! that is really restricitve. i paid, i think, $15 at the Philly Zine Fest one year and even that was a stretch for me. it's ashame, i woud consider tabling if it were less to table.

i'm curious to see who will be there!
I was so excited when I saw this post because - awesome! A zine fest in New York! I can get there! And I imagine I will go and check it out. But I can't afford to pay $40 for a table. Jeez. Bummer, that would have been a fun event to table at.
awesome that they listened to feedback. I just can't even imagine who could afford to table. If you have three distros here stating that table fees are out of their price range... how in the hell could a single zinester afford to table?
This is good news! Awesome.
Hey everyone,

I am one of the organizers of the NYC Zine Fest '09, and we have been working really hard to make sure this event is affordable for zinesters and sustainable so that we can cover our costs (which can be really tricky in NYC!). We recently lowered the cost of tables and are also having a party in the space at the Lyceum to help fundraise (May 29th! Mark your calendars!)

You can see the new tabling costs and info about the party on our website: http://nyczinefest.org

Please send us a line if you have any other concerns or suggestions, we would very much like to be as inclusive and participatory as possible as we plan and celebrate the zines in NYC.

Best,
Alycia
hey! i'm from milwaukee and i plan on traveling to new york for the fest! i'm going to be tabling for my zine; desensitized and also the queer zine archive project (qzap.org)
looking to make some connections/friends prior to my travels!
<3

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service