We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I have 2 dozen+ older issues of Maximumrocknroll, mostly dating 1991-1994. Someone gave these to me for my library's zine collection but it really doesn't suit the collection (and a few of them are in so-so condition, with torn or missing covers). I need to clean these out of my space.

If you're interested, send me a message or email jerianne at undergroundpress dot org and I'll send you details about what I have. They're yours for the cost of shipping them to you (although if you'd like to kick in a buck or more as a donation for the zine library, that would be nice).

Otherwise, I'm putting them out with my recycling next week.

Views: 43

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

another hole???

NicoleIntrovert said:
can ........ you
possib-ly
be a

touch

more coherent?

this

S H I T

ain't - - - -

EDGY.

tim scannell said:
oh, thanx reggie...for FED-EXing
an xtra
pallet
of
Depends
4 wee-wee
Here's a history mostly pieced together from the Zinewiki article on MRR and my own memory:

Maximum Rock'N'Roll began as a punk radio show in 1977 in San Francisco hosted by DJs Tim Yohannan and Jeff Bale. Besides playing music, Yohannan and Bale invited punk musicians and fans into the studio, regulars on the show included Ruth Schwartz (Mordam distribution) and Jello Biafra (Dead Kennedys). Maximum Rock'N'Roll zine first appeared in 1982 as the newsprint booklet included in the "Not So Quiet on the Western Front" compilation LP, released on Jello Biafra's Alternative Tentacles. It became a monthly punk zine that blossomed into arguably the largest and most-read zine throughout the '80s and first half of the '90s. Yohannan ruled the zine and had a pretty strong vision of how he wanted it to be, even though anyone and everyone was encouraged to contribute to it. I did my first zine writing for MRR back in the late '80s doing scene reports for Washington State. The classified section in MRR was often a dozen pages long, you'd get 40 words for $2, it was one of the main ways to promote and sell your zine, as well as find penpals and trade and sell records. They also had an extensive zine review section, and because their print run and readership numbered over 10,000, a good review could net you a good 50-75 orders, coming as $2 or $3 stuffed in an envelope at your PO Box. Ahhhh... those were the days, I loved going to my PO Box and finding half a dozen envelopes with zine orders, cash or stamps, notes and letters from people that had read a review in MRR or F5.

In the mid-'90s Yohannan got cancer and started searching around for someone to take over as coordinator for the zine as he got increasingly ill. He actually called me and asked if I was interested in moving to SF and taking over the position, but I loved Seattle, had a successful regional zine at the time, and frankly was pretty turned off by the rigid politics of the MRR board/staff... even though they had people like Jeff Bale and Mykel Bored that were certainly less rigid, they didn't seem to have any power in the never ending arguments and power struggle of the zine.

Jen Angel, who published the fairly legendary pre-Riot Grrrl feminist/sex/punk zine Fucktooth (and much later Clamor Magazine), became coordinator when Tim died in 1998. She struggled with the board/longtime volunteers and eventually left. Then began a long string of different coordinators and the zine has never been the same. Especially coupled with the Web's ever-growing presence, which replaced MRR's role as being a central place where punk rock fans could go for discussion, news, networking, band info, zine info, etc. It's still published today, but it's a shell of it's former self, the classified section is tiny and the zine has probably half the size and print run. I pick up an issue or two a year still, but it's not like the '80s and '90s when a lot of people like me bought every issue. I have a feeling today half their readership is overseas and in smaller countries where the Web is less accessible to poor punk kids.

Notable zinesters that have written for MRR over the years have included: Jen Angel (Fucktooth), Anonymous Boy (Homopunk World), Jeff Bale, Brontez (Fag School), Mike BS (Bullshit Monthly), Aaron Cometbus, Eugene Chadbourne, Gordonzola, Bill Florio (Greedy Bastard), Mike LaVella (Gearhead), John Marr (Murder Can Be Fun), Sam McPheeters, Sean Sullivan, Mike Taylor (Scenery), Jim Testa (Jersey Beat), Matt Wobensmith (Outpunk), Al Quint, Icky (Sty Zine) and Ben Weasel (Panic Button).

Icky/Mark Murmann that published the long running Sty Zine and was MRR coordinator for a while will be publishing their upcoming photo issue. It's actually the first issue of MRR I've looked forward to in years.
KOOOOOOOOOOL!!!

Dan 10things said:
Here's an actual history mostly pieced together from the Zinewiki article on MRR and my own memory:

Maximum Rock'N'Roll began as a punk radio show in 1977 in San Francisco hosted by DJs Tim Yohannan and Jeff Bale. Besides playing music, Yohannan and Bale invited punk musicians and fans into the studio, regulars on the show included Ruth Schwartz (Mordam distribution) and Jello Biafra (Dead Kennedys). Maximum Rock'N'Roll zine first appeared in 1982 as the newsprint booklet included in the "Not So Quiet on the Western Front" compilation LP, released on Jello Biafra's Alternative Tentacles. It became a monthly punk zine that blossomed into arguably the largest and most-read zine throughout the '80s and first half of the '90s. Yohannan ruled the zine and had a pretty strong vision of how he wanted it to be, even though anyone and everyone was encouraged to contribute to it. I did my first zine writing for MRR back in the late '80s doing scene reports for Washington State. The classified section in MRR was often a dozen pages long, you'd get 40 words for $2, it was one of the main ways to promote and sell your zine, as well as find penpals and trade and sell records. They also had an extensive zine review section, and because their print run and readership numbered over 10,000, a good review could net you a good 50-75 orders, coming as $2 or $3 stuffed in an envelope at your PO Box.

In the mid-'90s Yohannan got cancer and started searching around for someone to take over as coordinator for the zine as he got increasingly ill. He actually called me and asked if I was interested in moving to SF and taking over the position, but I loved Seattle, had a successful regional zine at the time, and frankly was pretty turned off by the rigid politics of the MRR board/staff... even though they had people like Jeff Bale and Mykel Bored that were certainly less rigid, they didn't seem to have any power in the never ending arguments and power struggle of the zine.

Jen Angel, who published the fairly legendary pre-Riot Grrrl feminist/sex/punk zine Fucktooth, and later Clamor Magazine, became coordinator when Tim died in 1998. She struggled with the board/longtime volunteers and eventually left. Then began a long string of different coordinators and the zine has never been the same. Especially coupled with the Web's ever-growing presence, which replaced MRR's role as being a central place where punk rock fans could go for discussion, news, networking, band info, zine info, etc. It's still published today, but it's a shell of it's former self, the classified section is tiny and they zine has probably half the size and print run. I pick up an issue or two a year still, but it's not like the '80s and '90s when a lot of people like me bought every issue. I have a feeling today half their readership is overseas and in smaller countries where the Web is less accessible to poor punk kids.

Notable zinesters that have written for MRR over the years have included: Jen Angel (Fucktooth), Anonymous Boy (Homopunk World), Jeff Bale, Brontez (Fag School), Mike BS (Bullshit Monthly), Aaron Cometbus, Eugene Chadbourne, Gordonzola, Bill Florio (Greedy Bastard), Mike LaVella (Gearhead), John Marr (Murder Can Be Fun), Sam McPheeters, Sean Sullivan, Mike Taylor (Scenery), Jim Testa (Jersey Beat), Matt Wobensmith (Outpunk), Al Quint, Icky (Sty Zine) and Ben Weasel (Panic Button).

Icky/Mark Murmann that published the long running Sty Zine and was MRR coordinator for a while will be publishing their upcoming photo issue. It's actually an issue of MRR I'm looking forward to.
All this over a few back-issues of MRR? I liked the rag back in the '80s (I started reading it regularly in '83), but the bigger it got the less I cared for it. I still read every issue up until about '96, but then I moved out of the last communal residence I've lived in and pretty much distanced myself from the whole "hardcore" scene.

I still have tons of vinyl records and cassettes from the heyday of the hardcore scene, but I generally listen to them alone at home now. It's been a few years since I even cracked open a new issue of MRR... maybe I need to swing by the sundry shop and pick up the latest isse... for old-time's sake.
don't waste your time...
read 1984 and jane eyre
and start picking up
field and stream...and MAD magazine...:)
tim

W. Alan Fare said:
All this over a few back-issues of MRR? I liked the rag back in the '80s (I started reading it regularly in '83), but the bigger it got the less I cared for it. I still read every issue up until about '96, but then I moved out of the last communal residence I've lived in and pretty much distanced myself from the whole "hardcore" scene.

I still have tons of vinyl records and cassettes from the heyday of the hardcore scene, but I generally listen to them alone at home now. It's been a few years since I even cracked open a new issue of MRR... maybe I need to swing by the sundry shop and pick up the latest isse... for old-time's sake.
ignoramus
haha
right on zack...
i call 'er miss wee-wee
and others
her
'holes'
haha
keep at it bud!!!

Zacery said:
Ciara, you truly are an annoying gnat - I don't go to High School or the Mall, my statement was a self-parody you ignoramus. I don't yell at my Mother, I don't want to pierce my ear, I'm not self-obsessed.

Does belittling youth make you feel "special"? There is literally nothing I like about you.

It's hilarious that you say I have "angst"...ha! If you only knew me in real life, I'm practically a sunflower.
Do you know if they carry them at Sears? When you get to be my age that's the only place you shop!

Seriously though, I still go to hardcore shows sometimes when they pass through, but I'm usually the oldest person there by a good decade. But I'm one of the ones who gives the traveling bands an extra $50 or $100 to keep going because so few kids come out to shows around here anymore.

tim scannell said:
don't waste you time...
read 1984 and jane eyre
and start picking up
field and stream...and MAD magazine...:)
tim

W. Alan Fare said:

Jerriane,

I know of a prisoner who would really like them. He can only have 6 zines at a time.

If you think you could get them to him without the Gulag blocking them, then maybe you could send them to him? If you want postage, maybe I could provide that.

I don't have his address at the moment---his name is Juan Maldonado---but if there are no takers and you're willing, maybe I can get back to you with it. I don't have home internet and only get to the Net every 2 or 3 days.

Let me know if you're willing to send them to him and what your terms are.

Thanks.
i'm sorry, zacery. i didn't realize your high school/mall comment was a parody, because it fit in so well with every other obnoxious & earnest thing you have ever posted here. yet more fodder for my growing belief that you are actually some kind of genius performance artist pretending to be a teenager on the internet. but if you are a real teenager, i don't care how much you dislike me because it is a mere teardrop compared to the ocean of loathing i hold in my heart for you.

tim, you're a pretentious blow-hard who has yet to construct a coherent post in these forums. all i know about you for sure is your town of origin, because you include it with every post, & that you are a racist who seems to have a huge stick up his ass over obama being president. that is all i really need to know to feel okay about ignoring everything else you post here.

on the topic of "MRR" history--didn't cindy from "doris" used to have a column too? or was that in "punk planet"? i only ever read the columns & zine reviews in either magazine, so sometimes i got them mixed up!
bye tuna

ciaraxyerra said:
i'm sorry, zacery. i didn't realize your high school/mall comment was a parody, because it fit in so well with every other obnoxious & earnest thing you have ever posted here. yet more fodder for my growing belief that you are actually some kind of genius performance artist pretending to be a teenager on the internet. but if you are a real teenager, i don't care how much you dislike me because it is a mere teardrop compared to the ocean of loathing i hold in my heart for you.

tim, you're a pretentious blow-hard who has yet to construct a coherent post in these forums. all i know about you for sure is your town of origin, because you include it with every post, & that you are a racist who seems to have a huge stick up his ass over obama being president. that is all i really need to know to feel okay about ignoring everything else you post here.

on the topic of "MRR" history--didn't cindy from "doris" used to have a column too? or was that in "punk planet"? i only ever read the columns & zine reviews in either magazine, so sometimes i got them mixed up!
what are these bizarre nicknames? i am getting the sense that you might also be a raging misogynist. fantastic.
ciaraxyerra said:

Good question, I don't know... I know she was interviewed in Punk Planet.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service