We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I Have recently become interested in using a Mimeograph for my zine...Can anyone help me per-sue this? I am open to suggestions, (Finding one in a public space, buying a cheap used one, a DIY mimeograph)

Tags: Printmaking

Views: 1529

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Captain Mimeo, thanks for setting me straight on the mimeo path & contacting your friend for me. I never knew about L.A.S.F.S. (My friends tease me for liking Dune. It would be nice to know people who get my Fremen jokes.)

I read that Mimeograph runs can be infinite, as opposed to limited prints with the Ditto/Spirit. Is this true?

http://www.irememberjfk.com/mt/2007/04/mimeograph_machines.php If so, I just put my foot in my mouth. I always assumed they were limited, imagining the master stencil to not be made for durability. 

100 lbs! Ouch. I'd better remember to lift with the thighs & not the back. 

James, I read about a portable Roneo mimeograph, but only once. (In the above link.) What a lucky score! Where did you find it? Is it manual? I'm keen on the hand-crank type, but I do imagine that electric might appeal once my arms are tired. Thanks for the offer. Now I know where my next $2 or first zines are going. 

I have a Gestetner 360 machine in very good condition. Used last by my Grandparents about 20 yrs ago. Stored inside and covered since. I'm in Western NY state - let me know if you're interested.
Well, I know a guy in Toronto who likes Gestetners, but I think, like me, he's thinking maybe he's got too many at the moment. I'm in Minneapolis, and a 360 would be a monster to crate up and ship. But please do not toss this machine, it is the '57 Chevy of Gestetner silk-screen duplicators! You can still get ink and stencils from Repeat O Type! You can fix it with a screw driver and a pair of pliars (sort of.) Someone out there needs this duper! (Most of the mimeos I see on eBay are filthy, beat-up, and missing parts and would be hard to get working.)

gspro said:
I have a Gestetner 360 machine in very good condition. Used last by my Grandparents about 20 yrs ago. Stored inside and covered since. I'm in Western NY state - let me know if you're interested.

Meanwhile, check out my Facebook page called:

Mimeograph Users Group

Hello again knowledgeable zinesters,

I just purchased a spirit duplicator- like a mimeograph. I've tracked down the necessary master stencils, but I need spirit fluid and a new wick. I understand that I should use methanol but can't find it in mid-michigan. Any ideas? Or safer alternatives?

Thanks!

The guy at Repeat O Type has real fluid, but it's pricy. You should be able to make your own wick, though I've never tried. Basically the wick lets the fluid run down to a sponge that extends the width of the drum, wetting it on each revolution. Repeat O Type might be able to help with the wick, too. He has a phone number on the web page, just give him a call.

Rubbing alcohol works, and you could try your machine out with it before investing in the real stuff. There's always fumes with the process, but the alcohol fumes aren't anywhere near as deadly or toxic as carbon monoxide, just kinda annoying, and you might get a bit tipsy on a long print run... we're talking about the smell people remember from test papers in gradeschool. Good idea to run a fan in the room.

Thank you! Yep, Repeat O Type has fluid but he said it can't be shipped. Great to know about rubbing alcohol!! I posted in your FB group as well :-)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service