We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Where do you all sell your zines? I just started making zines again after a 16 year hiatus and things are so different these days with the internet. How are people marketing these days?

so excited to be back into zine making. i've missed it!

Views: 411

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks, Tee! Yeah, it's a long hiatus. I got married, had kids, started a business, got rid of the business after 6 years, started teaching art classes, now I'm a full time psychology student, but I've missed it so much after dabbling in all sorts of other crafts over the years. My passion is still telling stories with words, pictures, and drawings. 

I put out my zine from the ages of 17 - 19 and put out 22 of them altogether. I had a subscriber list of about 110 that paid for a yearly subscription and had a blast doing it. 

I've put a couple copies on my Etsy shop so I'll send you a link. I found a couple distros online that looked promising so I've got 2 ready to send out in the morning. What are your recommendations for distros? 

Thanks for all the info!

Thanks, Tee! :)

Thanks, Betty. :) I found their site the other day and sent off a couple zines to two of the stores. :) 

Thanks, Tee! I sent one off to Sweet Candy and I also found a place called "Things you Say" and sent on there, as well. 

My zine was actually more of a magazine. It had 8.5 x 11 pages and about 32 of them to each issue. It was called "Crown of Glory" and targeted a very niche market in my late teen years. THat was back when my family was immersed in the very neo-conservative Christian homeschooling movement. Thank god I'm far removed from that now! LOL!

Tee Rex said:

Haha, I can relate. Though I lost touch with zines in my early 20's then when I had kids, came back to them. What was your zine called? 110 paying for a yearly subscription?! That's ace, I can barely scrape together a handful of people to trade with, you'll have to share your secrets with us. :D

As for the distros that I know and like, they're as follows. I'm not sure what their submission details are but they're always good to buy from, so there's always that if you feel like stocking up again. 

sweet candy

click clack 

false start

Stranger Danger

Portland Button Works

Fight Boredom (Canada)

marching stars(UK)

vampire sushi (UK)

take care (australia)


& you're welcome! 

Aw, thanks for mentioning Portland Button Works!

Tee Rex said:

Haha, I can relate. Though I lost touch with zines in my early 20's then when I had kids, came back to them. What was your zine called? 110 paying for a yearly subscription?! That's ace, I can barely scrape together a handful of people to trade with, you'll have to share your secrets with us. :D

As for the distros that I know and like, they're as follows. I'm not sure what their submission details are but they're always good to buy from, so there's always that if you feel like stocking up again. 

sweet candy

click clack 

false start

Stranger Danger

Portland Button Works

Fight Boredom (Canada)

marching stars(UK)

vampire sushi (UK)

take care (australia)


& you're welcome! 

There is a list of zine distros and stores on my Stolen Sharpie site here. It is pretty frequently updated and the distros have given their own descriptions.

Thank you so much!!



Alex Wrekk said:

There is a list of zine distros and stores on my Stolen Sharpie site here. It is pretty frequently updated and the distros have given their own descriptions.

I've been a user of tumblr for sometime and I've never thought to make a post regarding my zines. Thanks for the idea!

Tee Rex said:

I mostly trade these days but do list a couple of copies on etsy and then post a link to that from my page here, also the 'new issue' thread in the forum here, make a post on tumblr and use the 'zine' tag. And I'm just about to send my latest issue out to a couple of distros. Good to hear you're getting back into zines :D That's a longggg hiatus!

There is also a tumbler blog about zines: http://welovezines.tumblr.com/

hi!  i bet it is way different than it was 16 years ago, eek.  well i am excited you are back in zineland!

to be honest with you, i do not use the internet much for promotion.  i am busy enough with distroing around town [luckily i have many places to take my zine here in the sf bay area*] and sending them out to other places i have made a connection with [mostly infoshops but also some book stores in the US] through friends or travels.  i actually have printed a new issue within the last month, but am hesitating announcing it here on this website, because i am not in a place from which i can deal with any demands for copies.  it's a thick zine and it takes a lot to photocopy it.  i have to finish my regular distro first and i am stressed with other things at the moment.

but yes, i guess a lot of people use etsy.  i have posted on a few livejournal communities when i have a new issue, and i like that because hardly anyone uses livejournal anymore and i end up just doing two or three nice trades.  :).  i'm scared to announce new issues here for the time being.

oh, also!  zine fairs.

*i recommend going into book stores and stuff like that where you live and asking them if they will carry your zine, even if they don't have a zine section.  yet.

I was just recently thinking about going into the local shops around here in Vermont because they really are the perfect place to carry them. Thanks for the encouragement! 

enola dismay said:

hi!  i bet it is way different than it was 16 years ago, eek.  well i am excited you are back in zineland!

to be honest with you, i do not use the internet much for promotion.  i am busy enough with distroing around town [luckily i have many places to take my zine here in the sf bay area*] and sending them out to other places i have made a connection with [mostly infoshops but also some book stores in the US] through friends or travels.  i actually have printed a new issue within the last month, but am hesitating announcing it here on this website, because i am not in a place from which i can deal with any demands for copies.  it's a thick zine and it takes a lot to photocopy it.  i have to finish my regular distro first and i am stressed with other things at the moment.

but yes, i guess a lot of people use etsy.  i have posted on a few livejournal communities when i have a new issue, and i like that because hardly anyone uses livejournal anymore and i end up just doing two or three nice trades.  :).  i'm scared to announce new issues here for the time being.

oh, also!  zine fairs.

*i recommend going into book stores and stuff like that where you live and asking them if they will carry your zine, even if they don't have a zine section.  yet.

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

The Word Distribution

Olympia Zine Fest!

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

 

© 2015   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service