We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Has anyone got any tips or advice on how to make a zine using photoshop? I have created templates but am swimming in pages and confused by page numbers, intimidated by my multiscreens and frankly i am white in the face.

Tags: advice, art, computer, photoshop, zines

Views: 3978

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Shuks thanks for such feedback, and in general, content for what I think is an important discussion, as I am sure many people have found themselves at some point having to integrate technology into a part of their zine process. I am currently using in design with big appreciation, it is smooth a quick to use. Having two screens helps, one to edit images on cs3 and the other to arrange them in indesign. Even the printing has been simple once i figured out to use "print as booklet". I still hold strong to the hand made touches, making sure to include some cut paste and scan arrangements, but for the size of the zine (60 pages) and a few other reasons, ive found computer organizing the layouts necessary.
InDesign retails for 700 big ones, I'm using the free trial. But if your serious about your Zine, it's occurred to me having a job that pays decent dough is important, 2 bucks a ditto, no matter how genius it is, will not suffice. Good luck, and God speed.

Anna
i use this all the time, but also do a mock up of a real zine (for page number purposes). that means i fold little scraps of paper into pages like as if it was a zine.
as for making sure the content fits on said page, when i am editing it in word, i means out the page width and count the lines that will make it on each page. then i can count how many 'pages' i will need.

one small word of advice, i recently used InDesign and it works way better. you click and drag your text from page to page and it formats it for you. plus you can add in page numbers. its way easier. i use photoshop b/c i dont have access to Indesign. and the kicker, photo shop is for pics so text looks grainy as it is being read as a photo (this also means its file size it enormous). Indesign deals with text, so the words are clearer (the file size is way smaller).

thats my thoughts. good luck with the layout. the more you do it, the easier it is.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service