We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Hey everyone, I noticed that there have been a few people posting about their interest in mail art, so I thought I'd put this out there and see if there is any interest. I've posted it on a few mail art sites, and I'm hoping to get some wonderful submissions.

WHAT ART MAIL?

I am currently collecting material for a collective zine called What Art Mail?
It's all about Mail Art (duh). The first issue will be black and white and will include submissions from kind mail artists who would like to participate. All you need to do is send me something about mail art approximately 5 1/2 inches wide and 4 1/4 inches tall (or 1/4 of a letter sized A4(?) piece of paper) - the finished zine will be this size.

I'll send you a copy of the zine when it is finished.

You can send a piece of art, or text of some sort related to the theme of Mail Art. It can be sent as a postcard or something in an envelope - if you decorate the envelope, that might even become part of the zine. The contents of the envelope can be larger and folded if you like, or smaller than the specified size. If you make ATCs or inchies or postcards, I've love to include them.

If you would like readers of the zine to be able to contact you, please include your name and any contact information you would like on the front of your submission. Ideally it would be artfully worked into your piece. If I use your envelope, I will remove your return address unless you indicate that you want me to leave it visible.

I would like the zine to reflect the range of mail art in terms of style, media, abilities, perspectives, geographic origin etc, but I reserve the right to exclude any material from the zine that I don't like. Things that I don't like include any and all religious material, anything extremely gruesome, sexually exploitive, hateful or supporting most "isms" (eg. racism, sexism, ageism...)

All submissions, must be flat, paper based, photocopy-able, and free of copyrighted material - ie no Disney or Kawaii images or pics of the latest pop icon or anything of that sort. (maybe I should include this in the list of things I don't like!)

By sending me your submission, you understand that I will reproduce the image and or text and distribute it. I do not claim any other rights to your work and you are free to do whatever you like with it.

Thanks for looking.
Misti Ko
185 North Stratford Avenue
Burnaby BC V5B 1L1
CANADA

Views: 62

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

misti...
i will send some items...

a good idea to
merge
zine + mailart...:)

tim scannell
port angeles, wa
Oh Misti I am definitely going to send you something for this since i missed your zine swap (so sorry about that btw)

-Em
Will you also entertaining writing that's not necessarily actually mail art? Like an article about mail art that's not presented using the specs you outline.
Absolutely, I'd love to have a mix of art and writing on the subject of mail art. As long as the writing can be cropped to fit the page size, it can go on for multiple pages if you like, and can be anything related to mail art - your experiences, rants about flakers, how to articles whatever you'd like to contribute. It does't have to be something newly created either, you can send me something you've used elsewhere, as long as you haven't given the copyright to someone else. It's all good.

Hi Emma, I'd love to have ya. The zine swap was excellent, with 7 little gems. They were all brilliant.
M
hi misti,
sounds good i will post you somethings.I did a similar thing with creative penpal group got about 9 people from there &we each contributed 2 pages each A4 size & ended up with a pretty good collective zine called Velocity
That sounds like fun. I'm getting all sorts of good ideas. On another board, someone was talking about sending around a journal with the first person starting a story, and the next person adding to it and so on until the story is complete. I think that could be fun too.

Just shoot me a message when you are ready to send, and I'll give you my address.
M

japhy zine said:
hi misti,
sounds good i will post you somethings.I did a similar thing with creative penpal group got about 9 people from there &we each contributed 2 pages each A4 size & ended up with a pretty good collective zine called Velocity
hey misti,
a package is on it's way,oh by the way have you heard of 1001 journals this is a similar thing i've been involved in that its really good & creative . if you haven't it's worth checking out & the journal art is fantastic cheers phil *** you have your address above*****
http://1001journals.com/

Misti Ko said:
That sounds like fun. I'm getting all sorts of good ideas. On another board, someone was talking about sending around a journal with the first person starting a story, and the next person adding to it and so on until the story is complete. I think that could be fun too.

Just shoot me a message when you are ready to send, and I'll give you my address.
M

japhy zine said:
hi misti,

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service