We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I got a $25 amazon gift card for christmas, and was thinking about getting a long arm stapeler. This one (http://www.amazon.com/Stapler-Standard-Staples-SPR01316-Category/dp...) popped up, but according to the reviews it's not good for anything over, say, fifteen pages.

How many pages would you guys recommend? Most of my zines are about 24 pages (12 sheets) but I don't want to buy one that I will just need to upgrade in a few months.

Views: 231

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is the one i have: http://www.amazon.com/Swingline-Stapler-Adjustable-Locking-S7034121...

It's worked fine for several years.
How many pages does it do? And how does it work? Do you put teh stapeler part on top of the papers or something?
I got a long reach staple decades ago (yes, I'm old). I haven't been doing zines that needed it lately, but it's often come in handy over the years. It still works fine. I think it was a good investment. I also bought a heavy duty stapler last summer for about $30, roughly.

If I were you, I'd jump at the deal. I don't understand why'd there'd be any need to "upgrade" in a few months, unless it were defective or something. But then maybe there'd be some way to get your money back.

It's not just the stapler that matters in being able to staple through thick stacks of paper, it's the staples. They cost a bit more, but chisel-pointed staples work well for that.

If you're serious about zines, a long reach and heavy duty stapler are good investments. Again, it seems to me they'd last for years, maybe decades without an "upgrade", but maybe I'm missing something.
if you'd rather go a cheaper way- I couldn't afford a long armed, so I just got one that flips open. staple it against something that it'll go into but not stick in (like cardboard or styrofoam) pull it out, and close the staples with some pliers or a pen or even just your hand. takes a few extra seconds, but works like a charm.
not upgrade. That was the wrong word. I meant that it only goes through the exact amount of pages I normally do, but then if I start doing longer zines then I'd need to get another one.

James N. Dawson said:
I got a long reach staple decades ago (yes, I'm old). I haven't been doing zines that needed it lately, but it's often come in handy over the years. It still works fine. I think it was a good investment. I also bought a heavy duty stapler last summer for about $30, roughly.

If I were you, I'd jump at the deal. I don't understand why'd there'd be any need to "upgrade" in a few months, unless it were defective or something. But then maybe there'd be some way to get your money back.

It's not just the stapler that matters in being able to staple through thick stacks of paper, it's the staples. They cost a bit more, but chisel-pointed staples work well for that.

If you're serious about zines, a long reach and heavy duty stapler are good investments. Again, it seems to me they'd last for years, maybe decades without an "upgrade", but maybe I'm missing something.
That's a really cool idea.

star blanket river child said:
if you'd rather go a cheaper way- I couldn't afford a long armed, so I just got one that flips open. staple it against something that it'll go into but not stick in (like cardboard or styrofoam) pull it out, and close the staples with some pliers or a pen or even just your hand. takes a few extra seconds, but works like a charm.
24 pages should only be 6 sheets of paper, anyway. Unless you are doing one of those full size zines.. with three staples on the outside binding. BUt then... you wouldn't even need a long arm. And no one should do that type of binding, (Not even Zine World who is sometimes guilty of it... though they do have the content to do a full size zine).
No. I do quarter sized. Oh right. It is six sheets. For some reason I thought it was 12. Heh heh.
NicoleIntrovert said:
24 pages should only be 6 sheets of paper, anyway. Unless you are doing one of those full size zines.. with three staples on the outside binding. BUt then... you wouldn't even need a long arm. And no one should do that type of binding, (Not even Zine World who is sometimes guilty of it... though they do have the content to do a full size zine).
OK. Er, how does it work? Does the stapeler part go on top of the paper or something?
Ouch. Expensive. nice, though... how many pages does it do?

Derek Neuland said:
I'm sure you could easily slip one out of a kinkos.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service