We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

So i was recently arrested for shoplifting, which i may or may not have done before but have not gotten caught prior to this incident. I wanted to write a zine about my experiences, but am weary of legal implications. I wouldn't be making more than a couple hundred copies of the zine, and i would obviously change the names of any identifying details such as locations. Would that be enough to publish it without worrying? or should i preface it with something that says "this is a work of fiction". I'd rather not if possible.

Any suggestions/personal experiences would be much appreciated.

Views: 11

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think that if you are worried you should check out the laws on your books for the statute of limitations on those sort of offenses.

There is a little info on Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statute_of_limitations

But you'd probably want to check as close to your locality as possible.
Thank you for the reply. I'll have to think carefully about how i write this.

NicoleIntrovert said:
I think that if you are worried you should check out the laws on your books for the statute of limitations on those sort of offenses.

There is a little info on Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statute_of_limitations

But you'd probably want to check as close to your locality as possible.
I don't know the answer to your question, but I've wondered the same thing. I have some good stories that I have hesitated to write down.
Nate Gangelhoff writes about stuff like that in his Pick Your Poison zines and as far as I know, he never got in trouble (he did at the time of the crimes, though)-- but this was at least several years after the events had happened.

My guess is that you are probably fine, as you aren't making many copies. But if you get in trouble again and the writing comes to the attention of whomever is doing the prosecution, they could possibly use it against you.
good to know, thanks so much!

Julie Sandburg said:
Nate Gangelhoff writes about stuff like that in his Pick Your Poison zines and as far as I know, he never got in trouble (he did at the time of the crimes, though)-- but this was at least several years after the events had happened.

My guess is that you are probably fine, as you aren't making many copies. But if you get in trouble again and the writing comes to the attention of whomever is doing the prosecution, they could possibly use it against you.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service