We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Hey!

I'm putting on a zine fair, as well as the obvious zine trading and sellling, I'm planning to have local/independent artists, record labels and other crafty sorts also selling their wares from tables, a veggie BBQ, maybe a fundraiser of sorts - raffle tickets perhaps and bands playing in the evening.

It's in Leeds and will be at The Brudenell Social Club which is amazing for these sorts of events. Any profit is going to Leeds Womens Aid, which is a domestic violence charity. It's going to be in June, but is currently TBC.

Basically, I'm calling out to UK zinesters who are interested in tabling this event. Another option is posting your zines to me, but I'm not sure how that would work and a lot of trust would be placed in me to ensure you get sent your money and/or left-over zines back. All I can offer is my good word, that it's a charity event which will be advertised loads and the fact I won't be running away anywhere. Maybe this could be worked around. Also, if anybody has zines (or even stickers, badges, anything!) you would like to donate to the fair which would then be sold for a donation to the charity, or made into grab-packs which we would 'sell' raffle tickets for to raise funds for LWA.

I appreciate anybody spreading the word about this, and it would be amazing to have support and people getting involved!! It's very early stages and thigns are gettign worked out, but I will update and add any information or ideas as and when.

Katie x

Views: 343

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Definitely still interested in a table! distro@marchingstars.co.uk

Katie Thirkill said:
Hey everybody!

So! It's set for Sunday 27th June, at The Brudenell Social Club, Leeds. The times are looking to be 12-5pm for the zine side of things, 6-9pm approx. for the gig!

If you're interested in tabling at the fair, whether you have one zine or ten, or if you have anything crafy (obviously your own work!), like; illustrations, brooches, screen prints, jewellery, paintings, photography etc., or if you're a small DIY record label/distro, please message/reply with your email address so I can email out details and contact you directly!

As mentioned, I'm wanting to raise funds for Leeds Womens Aid so it'd be fantastic if you could bear that in mind and maybe think about donating a percentage of your sales, however this isn't something I would dream of forcing upon you lovely people. There will be a small/nominal charge for the tables, which will be put in the pot for the charity!

Hoping to hold a veggie BBQ, sell raffle tickets with prizes donated from local buisnesses (I'm asking a local tattoo studio to donate a tattoo session !) and zine/lit packs as prizes, maybe an art workshop, all to raise funds for the charity. I have loads of ideas and would love to hear yours!

It's all very early but it will come together, I did a charity skate jam and gig last year for a youth suicide prevention charity and I can't even explain how amazing it was, here's to the zine fair being as successful...

Katie x
Definitely still up for this! iloveyousewmuch @ googlemail.com

Katie Thirkill said:
Hey everybody!

So! It's set for Sunday 27th June, at The Brudenell Social Club, Leeds. The times are looking to be 12-5pm for the zine side of things, 6-9pm approx. for the gig!

If you're interested in tabling at the fair, whether you have one zine or ten, or if you have anything crafy (obviously your own work!), like; illustrations, brooches, screen prints, jewellery, paintings, photography etc., or if you're a small DIY record label/distro, please message/reply with your email address so I can email out details and contact you directly!

As mentioned, I'm wanting to raise funds for Leeds Womens Aid so it'd be fantastic if you could bear that in mind and maybe think about donating a percentage of your sales, however this isn't something I would dream of forcing upon you lovely people. There will be a small/nominal charge for the tables, which will be put in the pot for the charity!

Hoping to hold a veggie BBQ, sell raffle tickets with prizes donated from local buisnesses (I'm asking a local tattoo studio to donate a tattoo session !) and zine/lit packs as prizes, maybe an art workshop, all to raise funds for the charity. I have loads of ideas and would love to hear yours!

It's all very early but it will come together, I did a charity skate jam and gig last year for a youth suicide prevention charity and I can't even explain how amazing it was, here's to the zine fair being as successful...

Katie x
Oooh...the dates sound great...I'll have just finished my GCSEs that week and as its a sunday I wouldn't have to miss any of my saturday things. I doubt I'd be able to table but I'm also certain I'll come up - I've been wanting to go to a zine fair for ages.
Unlikely that I'll be able to get across for this, but I'll certainly try and will pass on the info anyway =)
Thank you, I really appreciate the word being spread! And, again, if you are interested, just stick your email in a reply, as I'm compiling a list. Or if you know anybody who may be interested, but isn't on here, it would be great if you could pass on my email address: katie_thirkill@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks! x

Stephanos said:
Unlikely that I'll be able to get across for this, but I'll certainly try and will pass on the info anyway =)
we'll definitely be interested! vampiresushidistro@gmail.com
seems i'll be spending my 28th birthday in leeds! x
certainly interested! kira_swales@yahoo.co.uk
vickeh@gmail.com
I'm definitely still interested in a little table! bettieriot@gmail.com
ok im probably coming as well then with ellie - in a town far far away from leeds we have a lickle distro called hoojemaflap

http://hoojemaflap.blogspot.com/
I've added everyone so far to the email, I will send one out very soon, so make sure the date's in your diaries!!! Still don't have a band line-up, 2 out of 3 I asked can't play and the other hasn't got back to me. It will be sorted soon.

Also, I've decided that the charity I will be doing it for is now going to be PAPYRUS, which is a youth suicide prevention charity. I raised money for them last year by organising a skate jam and gig. It was actually on the same date which wasn't intentional! It's a cause close to my heart and as I've had no response from LWA it made me realise I really do feel 'better' about raising money for such an amazing charity, I just feel I should and of course, I want to :)
Hey, is this event still going ahead?

Andy

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service