We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Hey!

I'm putting on a zine fair, as well as the obvious zine trading and sellling, I'm planning to have local/independent artists, record labels and other crafty sorts also selling their wares from tables, a veggie BBQ, maybe a fundraiser of sorts - raffle tickets perhaps and bands playing in the evening.

It's in Leeds and will be at The Brudenell Social Club which is amazing for these sorts of events. Any profit is going to Leeds Womens Aid, which is a domestic violence charity. It's going to be in June, but is currently TBC.

Basically, I'm calling out to UK zinesters who are interested in tabling this event. Another option is posting your zines to me, but I'm not sure how that would work and a lot of trust would be placed in me to ensure you get sent your money and/or left-over zines back. All I can offer is my good word, that it's a charity event which will be advertised loads and the fact I won't be running away anywhere. Maybe this could be worked around. Also, if anybody has zines (or even stickers, badges, anything!) you would like to donate to the fair which would then be sold for a donation to the charity, or made into grab-packs which we would 'sell' raffle tickets for to raise funds for LWA.

I appreciate anybody spreading the word about this, and it would be amazing to have support and people getting involved!! It's very early stages and thigns are gettign worked out, but I will update and add any information or ideas as and when.

Katie x

Views: 354

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi yes it is, I've had a few gigs I've put on in the past few weeks so have been really busy. Got one on May 15th, too. Did I reply to your email, if you are the person from Footprint who emailed? I'm sure I did...

I'm struggling to find bands to play, they need to be 'well-known' enough to pull a crowd, not be too obscure and fit in with the whole thing... I usually put on pop punk or hardcore bands. Don't know why this is proving the most difficult part.

I will get the email sent to everybody who gave me their addresses, thanks so much for the interest and support. I'm on it!

PS Does anybody have crafty friends who'd be interested in selling their screenprints, brooches, other handmade goodies?!
we got bands whose members have an interest in zines,i.e., one of their members writes or contributes to a zine. Toby did our booking, he's on here http://wemakezines.ning.com/profile/Toby so maybe he can help with contacts?

Katie Thirkill said:
Hi yes it is, I've had a few gigs I've put on in the past few weeks so have been really busy. Got one on May 15th, too. Did I reply to your email, if you are the person from Footprint who emailed? I'm sure I did...

I'm struggling to find bands to play, they need to be 'well-known' enough to pull a crowd, not be too obscure and fit in with the whole thing... I usually put on pop punk or hardcore bands. Don't know why this is proving the most difficult part.

I will get the email sent to everybody who gave me their addresses, thanks so much for the interest and support. I'm on it!

PS Does anybody have crafty friends who'd be interested in selling their screenprints, brooches, other handmade goodies?!
We were wondering what we could do for it.

We thought it may be a nice idea to bring our full colour laser printer down and offer cost price laser printing for the day. It would need to be publicised before hand but people could bring poster designs or their next covers and we could laser print them for about 10p a copy.

let me know if you think people would want us to do that

Andy
That's a great idea, definitely! Would be an extra incentive be to get zine/comic makers to come! I was going to get the poster and flyers done at Footprint, I used you last year for a charity skate jam and gig :)

Made quite a bit of progress last night, a friend who makes amazing cupcakes will be having a table, enquired with my friend who works at a vintage store for her to set up a stall, and got a friend who does screen prints and hand makes things like coasters and badges to hire a table too. Also emailed a couple bands about playing. It's coming together!

Andy (Footprint Workers Co-op) said:
We were wondering what we could do for it.

We thought it may be a nice idea to bring our full colour laser printer down and offer cost price laser printing for the day. It would need to be publicised before hand but people could bring poster designs or their next covers and we could laser print them for about 10p a copy.

let me know if you think people would want us to do that

Andy
I was thinking about this again and, although before I said I wouldn't have a table because I don't have enough zines I do actually do a lot of crafty stuff. I've been looking at doing some kind of craft stall so this might be a good experiance. I make cards, book marks, ATC - paper craft stuff and also crochet - broaches, figures etc and bake. I can't say anything for definite as I have exams all through June so I might be too busy to make things (I need to have a proper think through) but I thought I might as well give you my email address:

hell-fire-angel@hotmail.co.uk
I have crafty friends who handmake accessories and knit etc, and would most likely be interested in selling some of it - would they have to table seperately?

Katie Thirkill said:

I'm very interested in this, i'd love to have a table as I make jewellery, do paintings and other stuff as well as zines, but I'm not entirely sure I can commit yet... would love some more info though, my email is generationterrorist@hotmail.co.uk :)

EDIT: oh, also, I dunno if you've heard of them/they'd be appropriate/you've already asked them, but Grammatics are a Leeds-based band I'm very much in love with and thus feel compelled to mention for possible involvement ;D
Katie,

I'd love a little zine table to sell my zines and CDs - my email address is contact@catherineelms.co.uk!
Katie - what's your email address so that I can point people in your direction (stall holders, and potentially bands)

Melnaie x
Oops - sorry, just found it in one of your messages - I'll spread the word! Melanie x
im still interested! let me know details, etc. also i'll put the date in the london zine symposium programme. - deadtreesanddye@hotmail.com
is anyone going from Sheffield?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service