We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

July is fast approaching and I have created A list of zine activities for International Zine month this year so get stoked! I'm going to make some posters today and send them out with Portland Button Works order or free for a stamp.

What are you plans for International Zine Month?

When posting online about International Zine Month use the #IZM2013

31 Days of International Zine Month July 2013

I LOVE ZINES WEEK!

1 - Sign up or sign in to WeMakeZines.ning.com and write about IZM and what you plans are to celebrate zines this month! Feel free to write about it on your personal site as well!

2 - Make a Top 10 list of reasons why your love zines, post them online if you would like.

3 - Zine Distro Appreciation Day! Order from a zine distro.

4 - Reread your favorite zines and remind yourself why you love them so much.

5 - Teach yourself a  new zine skill: learn how to book bind, make a 1 page zine, photocopier art, etc.

6 - Check out ZineWiki.org and add your zine or update existing entries.

ZINE EVENT 6 JULY - Kuala Lampur Zine Fest (Kuala Lampur, Malaysia)

POSTAL APPRECIATION WEEK!

7 - Make or decorate some envelopes or postcards to get ready for the week.

8- Make a little flyer for your zine to send out with orders and see if other people will trade for stacks of them so you can all promote each other.

(beginning of Ramadan, Muslim zine friends can pick back up on August 8th)

9 - Write a letter to a zine maker that you don’t know.

10 - Send a care package to a zine creator that you do know.

11 - Make some mail art!

12 - Send your zine out to be reviewed.

13 - Zine Trade Day! Ask someone if they would like to trade zines with you.

14 - ValenZINE’s Day! Write to your zine crush, or write to ZineCrush.com

ZINE EVENT 13-14 JULY - Zine Librarian (Un)Conferencehttp://iczluc.wikispaces.com/ (Iowa City, Iowa, USA)

ZINE DISTRIBUTION WEEK

15 - Leave a zine in public for someone else to find.

15 - Promote a zine that you really like that is not your own.

16 - Send your zine to a distro for distro consideration.

17 - Review a zine online or write a review of a zine to add to your zine.

18 - Order from a zine distro that you have never ordered from before.

19 - Zine Shop appreciation day! Stop by a shop that sells zines and buy some zines or consign your zines.

20 - Free Zine Day! Give your zine away to someone!

ZINE EVENT 20 JULY -  DC Zine Fest (Washington, DC, USA)

ZINE LIBRARY AND ZINE EDUCATION WEEK

21 - International Zine Library Day! Visit your local zine library!

22 - Send your zine to a zine library.

23 - Make a 1 page zine. Here are some instructions.

24 - Organize your zine collection.

25 - Teach a friend or family member about zines.

26- Submit something to a compilation zine.

27 - Organize a zine event! A zine reading or a zine fair or fest or even just for friends to get together and work on their zines.

JUST FOR FUN WEEK

28 - Cook with a recipe from a zine or cook zine!

29- Post a photo online of you with your zine or your zine collection.

30 - Read some zines! Lay in bed and read zines all day if you can!

31 - Log into WeMakeZine and write about your experience or write about it on your own blog.

ZINE FEST 31 JULY - 1 August San Francisco Zine Fest (San Francisco, California, USA)

EXTRA CREDIT

-Read a zine everyday

-do a 24 hour zine (sign up here http://24hourzines.com)

-post your progress online on your blog or on We Make Zines

-Attend a zine event

-Draw a comic each day and release them at the end of the month

Tags: international, izm2013, month, zine, zines

Views: 753

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Pretty stoked on celebrating IZM this year! I'm going to try and do as many of the activities as possible which ay prove a little difficult as I live in a pretty small town but I'm sure I can make things work!

Ok, I am following the steps. On # 3 right now. This is gonna be inspiring.

So, I'm having a trouble figuring out how to make a zine wiki account. It keeps telling me I am unable to. Anyone have any ideas?

Yeah, I don't know. It looks like the "create account" part of the page has been removed or something. I couldn't find any other alternate links or ways to do it on the site either. Fail.

UPDATE: Someone asked about this on the Zine Wiki Facebook page a while ago and there was a reply on May 22 that said: "We had temporarily turned off account creation while we investigated ways to reduce spam and it looks like we never turned it back on. Sorry! I will talk to guy who handles the backend about it tonight."

Looks like it hasn't been resolved?

It's not working for me either. Bummer.

Hey, the ZineWiki.com account creation thing is working now! Wheeeee! :D

Woo hoo!

Betty said:

Hey, the ZineWiki.com account creation thing is working now! Wheeeee! :D

Hey! I'm still kinda on the challenges, I'm drawing a comic every day and try to do as much as I can...

But the forum here doesn't seem to be very active! Neither do the groups...

Anybody else feels like it's a shame that so many threads are dead in here?Now that the IZM is on, it would be really cool to for me to have some more interaction with other people who make zines online! Anybody has an idea where people are? Please don't tell me it's all facebook and twitter now :(

Nope, not very active at this time. I've been logging in every day or two, but don't see much movement. I guess we should make that change.

I would have been posting more, but I'm very behind on the days. I'm hoping to accomplish most activities, if not on the prescribed day. So Dascha how do you plan to release your comics once you've done all 31?

I didn't do all of the challenges either, but most of them, and the ones I didn't also gave me new ideas for the future..
And on some days I did more, like ordering from 2 different distros I haven't ordered from, or writing more than one message to zinesters, and so on. That's my way of not feeling bad about missing out on others, and yeah, I spend a lot of time drawing my comic-page each day!

Thanks for asking Brian, I will make all 31 pages into a zine. Just a simple, old-fashioned comic zine with a nice, simple layout. I want to do number five of the challenges (teach yourself a new zine skill) to make a coloured cover for it once it's printed. I'm pretty excited about giving it away to people and distros! :)

And yeah, we should for sure get more active and maybe people will rise from the dead again...I'm trying to reply to interesting post in every one of the groups I'm in, but of course, time is an issue!

Brian said:

Nope, not very active at this time. I've been logging in every day or two, but don't see much movement. I guess we should make that change.

I would have been posting more, but I'm very behind on the days. I'm hoping to accomplish most activities, if not on the prescribed day. So Dascha how do you plan to release your comics once you've done all 31?

The comic book and new colored cover sound really cool. I was just printing off some copies of my zine at a copy shop and a guy outside the shop asked me about them as I left. I sat down and we had a long conversation about travel and Africa and future plans. I should carry these things around more often!

I am working on a zine for this month. Will it be done in 24 hours?

Not sure, but I think I will be close. If I do like 12 today and 12 tomorrow, I will be happy.

Heck maybe this 24 hour zine can be done in say any 24 hours you want over the month just as long as you are done before August, right?

The plan is to post my zine for free on here as a PDF in both printable and readable format.

Brian

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service