We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

ZineWiki is an open-source encyclopedia devoted to zines and independent media. It covers the history, production, distribution and culture of the small press. ZineWiki is the largest resource on the Web related to zines, but it still needs your help!

Is there an article on your zine on ZineWiki?
Does it feature it's cover?
Do your favorite zines of all time have an article on them?
Or is there no article on that cool local zine you loved growing up, but not a lot of people might remember?

Please consider contributing to ZineWiki, even if it's just a minor edit with some updated info, a cover scan or two, or an article/page for your favorite zine. While there are thousands of zines, zinesters and zine resources already in the Wiki, I don't think even 1/3rd of the zine world/zine history is represented yet. For more information or to check it out, go to:
ZineWiki.com

Thanks!!!

Views: 154

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Me neither, but it looks good!
Mine used to be on there, but they aren't now. Was there a problem with the database being lost or something?
Zacery said:
Would I be full of myself if I wrote an informative, legible but concise article on my own zine...?

Absolutely not, people are encouraged to do an article on their own zine if there isn't one yet. Just try to keep it factual and like an encyclopedia entry so no one has to clean it up later.
Emma Jane Falconer said:
Mine used to be on there, but they aren't now. Was there a problem with the database being lost or something?

ZineWiki was hacked and the database went down for a while and the old admins kinda lost interest in the project. Jerianne from Zine World and I worked to revive it and co-admin it now. It's possible a few entries got lost, but I think for the most part it was fully restored. But if it's missing, please re-add it! The hope is it for it to be the most complete listing of zines, zine resources and zine history as possible. And a couple of contributors from Australia, Ireland and the UK have really stepped up contributions and helped fill in a lot of international zines. Everyone that reads zines is encouraged to contribute... I'm slightly surprised people haven't heard of ZineWiki before, I guess we need to promote it more.
See my first thought was that I'd been deleted because someone thought my stuff wasn't relevant/important enough, but then I read the rules, and Zine Wiki isn't about that, so I guessed database problems.

Dan 10things said:
Emma Jane Falconer said:

ZineWiki was hacked and the database went down for a while and the old admins kinda lost interest in the project. Jerianne from Zine World and I worked to revive it and co-admin it now. It's possible a few entries got lost, but I think for the most part it was fully restored. But if it's missing, please re-add it! The hope is it for it to be the most complete listing of zines, zine resources and zine history as possible. And a couple of contributors from Australia, Ireland and the UK have really stepped up contributions and helped fill in a lot of international zines. Everyone that reads zines is encouraged to contribute... I'm slightly surprised people haven't heard of ZineWiki before, I guess we need to promote it more.
Emma Jane Falconer said:
See my first thought was that I'd been deleted because someone thought my stuff wasn't relevant/important enough, but then I read the rules, and Zine Wiki isn't about that, so I guessed database problems.

ZineWiki is totally not like Wikipedia, where you must justify relevance by a pretty high standard. ZineWiki is meant to include every zine published, no matter how small and obscure. The only things that get deleted are spam and articles completely unrelated to zine culture (and these articles are nominated, debated and consensus is reached before they are removed). So by all means, put up a page for your zine!!!
I have finally been updating my info and zines on zine wiki.  It's a little difficult to figure out all the ways to get the stuff in there in the correct way, but a totally cool project. Just wanted to bump this up so people can check it out and fill it up.
I didn't know this was out there, but now have added my zines and self to the wiki! Thanks for the heads up!
it seemed too hard to navigate.do you need some kind of app or some shit?i even got a smart person to help me,and they couldnt figure it out either.
I've put all my zines and zine projects on there! :)  http://zinewiki.com/Catherine_Elms

I wrote about Zine Wiki on the zine review blog I edit: http://zinewiki.com/Spill_the_Zines

Also, during a bout of procrastination, I created ZineWiki pages for the following zines this weekend:

Lisa W / Sometimes I'm Dreaming

Hannah W / Not Lonely

Fight Boredom zine / Fight Boredom distro

Fluxxii distro

Sympathy for the Strawberry

Pandora Press

Yes, while there are tons of short entries for zines, a lengthy wiki page with cover scans, links to other wiki articles, and that goes more in depth about the zine is really what we're hoping for. That's the stuff that's more fun to read for others and is a great way to historically remember your zine. Effort is indeed rewarded!

Harley R. Pageot said:

I had some free time one day and I'm a fairly anal/organized person by nature so I wrote long entries about myself and my main zine series.  As a result I wound up getting chosen as the featured article one month.  I felt pretty special so putting in the effort's definitely worth it.

If I hear about a zine secondhand somewhere and don't have an Etsy link or any other contact info ZineWiki's usually my first place to search as well.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service