We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Is there an elitist-like/ discriminatory thing in the zine scene?

It's a weird thought but is anyone new in the whole zine scene finding it difficult to break through? It just seems like if you haven't been making zines for a long time or havent really espablished a concrete network or produced a well-know/widely read zine, it's difficult to get feedback and /or more readership.

SO i thought maybe it's a trend where you have to be "known" in the zine scene first before you get the desired feedback/ active participation of others OR maybe most of us zinesters are all more focused on our OWN works/craft/projects that we fail to actively particiapate in other projects etc.

I'm not really sure. what do you think?

Views: 93

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the honesty about my zines Amber. Have you read them all or just one? Who is this person dissin on us? People are so friggin bizzaro. Hope your well, lady.

Amber / Culture Slut said:
I never claimed to be breaking down any boundaries here, but I write a good zine and hundreds of other people seem to believe that, including you, according to your Etsy feedback. And although I'm not the biggest fan of Hannah's zines, what she is doing is pretty damn original in my eyes. Unless you can give me a list of other feminist horror zines that I haven't heard of yet.

I'm not arrogant, I'm honest. I'm generally a friendly and cheerful person, but like I said, this forum brings out the worst in everyone. Including myself. If I was really arrogant, I'd name the boring zines in question. All I did was reply to the original poster's question. I must admit that I'm tired of people whining about their readership and how to expand it. Just keep writing. That's it. Write zines, write letters, write whatever the fuck you want. But be patient. People will notice, eventually.

Mulnix said:
Hannah and Amber - I've read both of your zines and, while I thought they were good and readable and sometimes even entertaining, I wouldn't give you any awards for originality. Maybe you should check your arrogance at the door before you start casting aspersions on what other people create...
I have no idea who you are. Did that personal attack make your cock feel bigger? I will tell you one thing it did: gave me something to laugh about. I needed that. Oh, and respond all you want. I wont be back to this thread so .....whether you actually have a cock or not is moot.
Oh & what does this have to do with zines? about as much as your insane comment about Amber and I...

Mulnix said:
Hannah and Amber - I've read both of your zines and, while I thought they were good and readable and sometimes even entertaining, I wouldn't give you any awards for originality. Maybe you should check your arrogance at the door before you start casting aspersions on what other people create...
Ok, first ... ew.

Second ... yeah, I think there can be a fair amount of elitism. At the same time, I'd imagine that it's deserved. People who have been part of any scene (music/zines/whatever) have seen more and produced more work than folks who are newer on the scene. They've seen people jump in, get excited about this whole subculture world, and then watched the same people get bored when they didn't immediately get a lot of kudos on issue number one of the same zine they've read dozens of times.

At the same time ... you don't start playing an instrument or speaking a language, or learn any new skill set to become perfect overnight. Do what you do. Put out a zine that you're proud of, submit to distros you like, trade with people who you admire. Your zine will get better and people will notice.

I get that a lot of times this can be a pretty negative stomping ground. Let's be realistic, there're a lot of people sharing this community with a lot of really varied experiences and opinions. It's not always going to be easy. But if you're committed to the idea of zines, and to the community you can put your differences aside, listen to the feedback you're given and let it make you a better writer.

One of the greatest things about zines is that you can do your own thing and don't have to listen to anyone. You can keep your head down, make something you're proud of and keep it pretty private. You might want to consider WHY you're making a zine though. If it's for fame and popularity, this is probably not the venue for you. If you just want a small outlet that you feel good/productive about then fan letters and wide distribution and popular opinion shouldn't matter that much.
i know i said i wasnt gonna post but, lemme ask you a serious question. Who are you and why do you care so much about me? I never put myself on any pedestal. I hardly post here. In fact all I did was say I agreed with what someone else had posted and you singled me out even though other people agree'd with her as well. Whats the deal? I don't even know your name. As for the cock thing..forgive me for trying to bring some humor to a depressing as hell tread. Jeez. Seriously. Krissy (who started this WMZ thingy is AWESOME and i never for a second insulted her. I insulted the people who bring negativity. I dont see this as you "taking me to task" I see this as bizarre behavior from a stranger and honestly a bit disturbing.

Mulnix said:
I found your comments to be smug and arrogant...pretty much embodying the whole concept this thread was meant to address. If you're going to put yourself up on a pedestal, don't be surprised when someone takes you to task for it.

My cock is still humongous as ever. Thanks for asking.
i loves the Sarah <3

Sarah Arr! said:
Ok, first ... ew.

Second ... yeah, I think there can be a fair amount of elitism. At the same time, I'd imagine that it's deserved. People who have been part of any scene (music/zines/whatever) have seen more and produced more work than folks who are newer on the scene. They've seen people jump in, get excited about this whole subculture world, and then watched the same people get bored when they didn't immediately get a lot of kudos on issue number one of the same zine they've read dozens of times.

At the same time ... you don't start playing an instrument or speaking a language, or learn any new skill set to become perfect overnight. Do what you do. Put out a zine that you're proud of, submit to distros you like, trade with people who you admire. Your zine will get better and people will notice.

I get that a lot of times this can be a pretty negative stomping ground. Let's be realistic, there're a lot of people sharing this community with a lot of really varied experiences and opinions. It's not always going to be easy. But if you're committed to the idea of zines, and to the community you can put your differences aside, listen to the feedback you're given and let it make you a better writer.

One of the greatest things about zines is that you can do your own thing and don't have to listen to anyone. You can keep your head down, make something you're proud of and keep it pretty private. You might want to consider WHY you're making a zine though. If it's for fame and popularity, this is probably not the venue for you. If you just want a small outlet that you feel good/productive about then fan letters and wide distribution and popular opinion shouldn't matter that much.
bwhshahaha bye

Mulnix said:
You're all over the place.

I DON'T think or care about you or how much you post...Honestly, I barely know who you are. You're giving yourself way too much credit.

I lumped you in with Amber because you gave "props" to her comment. I'm taking you BOTH to task, dig?

I responded to your "cock" comment (which, incidentally, was BRILLIANT!) in what might be seen as a wry or sarcastic manner. I don't see that I reacted negatively to it at all.

And I never said anything about Krissy...someone else did.You don't pay attention too good, do ya?

Anyway...this is boring the hell out of me. Take care and good luck to you in future endeavors, etc.

Hannah Neurotica said:
i know i said i wasnt gonna post but, lemme ask you a serious question. Who are you and why do you care so much about me? I never put myself on any pedestal. I hardly post here. In fact all I did was say I agreed with what someone else had posted and you singled me out even though other people agree'd with her as well. Whats the deal? I don't even know your name. As for the cock thing..forgive me for trying to bring some humor to a depressing as hell tread. Jeez. Seriously. Krissy (who started this WMZ thingy is AWESOME and i never for a second insulted her. I insulted the people who bring negativity. I dont see this as you "taking me to task" I see this as bizarre behavior from a stranger and honestly a bit disturbing.
Mulnix said:
I found your comments to be smug and arrogant...pretty much embodying the whole concept this thread was meant to address. If you're going to put yourself up on a pedestal, don't be surprised when someone takes you to task for it.

My cock is still humongous as ever. Thanks for asking.
seriously, everyone, when i posted this, I was hoping for a civilized and insightful forum where people can exchange ideas and opinions freely and respectfully. what has happened to the people here on wmz? why is everyone being so viscious?
I don't know why a discussion like this needs to deteriorate into name calling, either. Maybe it is because some people seem to feel the need to say shitty things to other people when they could just as easily not. What makes a few people do that kind of stuff? I don't know, but the internet will always have those folks.

Perhaps closing a thread when an answer has been provided would help. It is up to who starts it.

Meanwhile, I agree with what most people said in here. Billy Da Bunny had it right.

I really think it is just a matter of proving yourself, with your writing and your staying power. The only way you are going to be "known" is by keeping at it and getting your zine out. For example, I am one of the least zinestery zinesters in lots of superficial ways. I am much older, didn't come out of riotgrrrl, don't write about the typical zine things (bikes, road trips, vegans, break ups....) and am not really interested in lots of typical "zinester" stuff. However, I love zines, the process of making zines. I respect them and I totally get people who feel the same way. And that is all that matters.

I Am said:
seriously, everyone, when i posted this, I was hoping for a civilized and insightful forum where people can exchange ideas and opinions freely and respectfully. what has happened to the people here on wmz? why is everyone being so viscious?
i was wondering the same thing myself. it seems a common problem on a lot of the posts... i thought you had a legit newbie question about the whole zine scene (incidently when did newbie become a word?) ... can you be 'known' in the zine scene anyway? its not like its a big scene :D - keep on doing what yre doing, spread the word, trade zines, ask for feedback when you send them out and gradually you'll find out what works, what doesn't and if people are enjoying what you write/say/feel. (and most importantly have a contact address in your zine - you'd be amazed how many folk forget that little touch)

I Am said:
Okay, I think everyone has had enough of this thread by now. So I'm closing it. To everyone, thanks for your feedback... I wish it hadn't turned out as it did though. :) oh well.

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Xerography Debt / History Zines

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service