We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I remember doing Marvel Zombie Society APA about ten years ago.  I kinda miss it.  I looked online, but didn't really see a lot about joining an APA.  I guess they aren't as popular as they used to be.  Would anyone here be interested in starting up an APA of our own?

-Natalie

Tags: APA, Trading, Zines

Views: 115

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm coordinating a print APA re: zine reviews, zine creation, life, the universe and everything starting in 2012. It is going to be a compilation APA not a "bundle" APA and not a huge formal organization like the AAPA or NAPA. Email me for details.
Cool thanks!
Can you let people know what an APA is, please.

Oh sure!  APA stands for Amateur Press Association.  I kinda think of it as a zine swap on steroids.  All of the people participating in the APA create an individual zine.  So, if you have 20 people subscribed to the APA, each of those people would create a zine.  They then send twenty copies of their zine to a Central Mailer (CM) along with a predetermined amount for postage.  The CM then collates the copies of each of the zines and sends them back out to the subscribers/participants, along with a list of what zines are included and any business/news for the group (for example: fees, deadline to get your zine in for the next mail, theme or prompt of the next mailing, etc.).  So if 20 people are involved, you would get back twenty different zines (including your own).  Most of the APAs I've seen are based on a theme, but they don't have to be.  Most require your zine to be a minimum of two pages, but that rule is also not written in stone.

I hope this answers your question.  If you have any others please ask.  If anyone else wants to add something to my "attempt" at a definition, or just tell of about their experience with APAs in the past, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, feel free to do so.

Here's an earlier discussions on APA's I started:

http://wemakezines.ning.com/forum/topics/what-do-you-think-of-apas

I put this on the forum (technically out of place, sorry Krissy), but I think I announced it on the WMZ libertarian group too.

http://wemakezines.ning.com/forum/topics/free-discussion-zine

While I was in the Phoenix APA, a member Dennis Kininger started another called Snicker-Snack.  You might be able to contact him below.  Phoenix finally folded after 33 years.  The final issue is experiencing delays in getting out.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PhoenixAPA

I'd love to see more APA's, but if it's just done as an exercise in nostalgia and there isn't a "critical mass" that has their heart in a topic/subject/focus/passion, then it seems like people are just going through the motions, and it eventually burns out.  I'm only interested in certain focuses that interest  or are important to me. I'd love to participate in a few more of these.  I'm not really interested in any that are mostly "natter".

I think it'd be great if WMZ's Vegan Zinesters did an APA.  I'd totally commit to that.  APA's can be awesome.  Yeah that require a little commitment, but I totally fail to see how, say, 2 pages every 3 months is that hard.  Get just 6 to 12 people together and that's a great zine of 12 to 24 pgs.  It's the content, not the page count, that matters most.

I'm very much looking forward to DJ's upcoming APA and am committed to being there every issue.

Heath Row tried to revive APA's and compiled a list of all the print-APA's he could find.  It's called Bluemoon Special and it's in the external links of Wikipedia's "Amateur Press Association" article.  It hasn't been updated since 2009, and I haven't heard from Heath in a while.

If anybody has reservations about being able to keep a commitment to an APA, I'd encourage you to just order a sample copy.  There's no obligation in that.  Some APA's may not even have minimum activity requirements (minac).  You can subscribe just like a regular zine and jump in if the spirit moves you.  Minacs these days are probably ridiculously easy.  (Two pages a year???)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Xerography Debt / History Zines

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service