We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

So, I was kicking around the idea of just declaring a month as International Zine Month. It seems like a fun idea to sort of focus attention to zines and maybe give librarians or educators and excuse to use zines in their work or distros a reason to have a sale or the media a reason to talk about us. I also sort of figured it was one of those things that if people talked about it enough it would become true.

I was thinking that July would be a good month for International Zine Month and that way it would tie in nicely with the 24 hour zine project. So, what do all of you think?

I'm considering just mentioning it in Stolen Sharpie Revolution 2 and seeing where it goes from there.

thought?

Views: 329

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

nice!!

(however, i wish that the pzs would be in june next year. seeing as we'll already be on that side of the continent.. heh)
I think it's an awesome idea!
So, now everyone has an excuse to talk about zines in July. I was told that the old mayor of Portland declared an official Comics day in Portland for Stumptown Comic fest before. I wonder if we could get an official whole month for zines from the new Mayor.
That's a lot of zinage for one month!

Alex Wrekk said:
So, now everyone has an excuse to talk about zines in July. I was told that the old mayor of Portland declared an official Comics day in Portland for Stumptown Comic fest before. I wonder if we could get an official whole month for zines from the new Mayor.
I think it's a great idea and I will totally participate. Maybe with a reading or a zine-trading party or ... ?
So, I added IZM to Chase's books of Holidays! It was a lot easier than I thought. it's not showing up on the site yet but the book deadline is in a few months so I hope it goes in!

I started this blog so that people can get me info about zine stuff going on for International ZIne Month in July. http://internationalzinemonth.worpress.com There isn't anything there right now but there will be.
This is a great idea. I am excited, and I would love to help research international zines for the blog (links, list?) if that is where you are going with it....
Well, it is more like a designated month for celebrating zines. You are welcome to hold events, readings, workshops or anything zine related during July and I will list the events on the International Zine Month site.

S. M. said:
This is a great idea. I am excited, and I would love to help research international zines for the blog (links, list?) if that is where you are going with it....
As soon as i write up something official for the free comp zine i will be doing, i will email it to you so you can post it on the blog. I am pretty sure i will get something written up for submission calls this week.

Alex Wrekk said:
BR>
I started this blog so that people can get me info about zine stuff going on for International ZIne Month in July. http://internationalzinemonth.worpress.com There isn't anything there right now but there will be.
so is this official? are we declaring July the international zine month? :)
It's true. it is "official', or as official as we can can make it! I submitted it to Chase's and hopefully it will be published. We had a Portland Zine Symposium meeting last night and we have some Portland librarian who kindly directed us to Chase's... and they are also working on some Portland area library zine events.

This is getting exciting!

Denise said:
so is this official? are we declaring July the international zine month? :)
I just got confirmation e-mail from Chases Book Of Days that International ZIne Month will be included in the 2010 Chases Calendars & Events! It won’t be included for 2009, but that’s alright. We have an official zine month, how rad is that?

So, what are you doing for International Zine Month? Are you writing a piece for the Entry Points Comp Zine? Are you coming to the Portland Zine Symposium? Are you going to make zine for the 24 Hour Zine Thing? Or do you have another idea to add? Let me know!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service