We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I'm looking for submissions for a one-off zine called I'm Not Like Other Girls.

What I want women and girls to do is to complete the sentence,
"I'm not like other girls because..."

I will make a zine of the responses.

The sentence will appear randomly placed, with all credits at the end, so your sentence and your credit aren't linked. This may help you to be more open, and the zine will flow much better too.

They may be categorised by theme, but that will depend on the submissions.

If you want to contribute, email me at incurable.hippie@googlemail.com

1) Put 'I'm not like other girls' in the subject line.
2) Email me your sentence (I'm not like other girls because...)
3) Tell me if you want to be anonymous.
4) If you want to be credited, tell me how (name / pseudonym, name of zine, etc)
5) If you want to receive a contributors' copy when it's ready, tell me your address too.

I can't guarantee your words will be put in the zine, but it's very likely. I only want submissions from women and girls.

Thanks!

Tags: call, for, girls, i'm, like, not, other, submissions, women

Views: 75

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

but see, that's the thing. you can say "I'm not like other girls at my school" but if you say "I'm not like other girls in general" someone's going to jump on you. (I'm not trying to be that person, I'm just saying it'll happen.) and even then... it's hard to know what people care about. maybe they just don't show it at school. it's hard sometimes to be that one person that cares about stuff, if people around you don't care, and then it becomes a snowball effect of everyone not caring because they don't want to stand out.
just a theory.

I don't want to subscribe to stereotypes, whether or not they're sometimes true. Just not into that.

Amy said:
well, they sure as heck don't go to my school. Their idea of service is litter pick up.

But really this whole thing is generalizations, isn't it? And not in a bad way. I mean, it might be stereotyping a little, but stereotypes do exist because people act like that. (I some cases. Not in all.)

star blanket river child said:
I don't think you can make generalizations like that without getting backlash. There's plenty of high schoolers that care about what's going on around them, and plenty of adults that DON'T.

Amy said:
True. I was mostly in a crappy mood. I think the more correct version would be "I'm not like other high schoolers because...:
but then how can other people say 'i'm not like other girls'? That's a generalization to.
I saw that as being more of a "I'm different from other girls because" like, this is why I'm special, not "I'm like this and other girls aren't, so I'm better."

Amy said:
but then how can other people say 'i'm not like other girls'? That's a generalization to.
Exactly!

I saw that as being more of a "I'm different from other girls because" like, this is why I'm special, not "I'm like this and other girls aren't, so I'm better."
yeah. like, someone with a disability or a disorder is different (not in a bad way) but probably not the only one in the world. I saw it as kind of "not everyone is like this, but if you are too, you're not alone."

am I right?

incurable hippie said:
Exactly!

Yep. So many women feel like they are alone in so many ways. Everyone sharing why they are alone shows us all that none of us are :)

We are all still different too, in great ways. The zine should be a nice combination of both.

yeah. like, someone with a disability or a disorder is different (not in a bad way) but probably not the only one in the world. I saw it as kind of "not everyone is like this, but if you are too, you're not alone."
am I right?
incurable hippie said:
Exactly!

I am so excited to read this zine! I'm especially impressed since it took a statement that could be seen as negative, but it seems like everyone took it in a positive light. awesome!

incurable hippie said:
Yep. So many women feel like they are alone in so many ways. Everyone sharing why they are alone shows us all that none of us are :)

We are all still different too, in great ways. The zine should be a nice combination of both.

am I right?
incurable hippie said:
Exactly!

I'm excited to read it as well. DO you have an etsy shop?
I do but it's empty at the moment. All my zines are for sale at rebelgrrlzine.co.uk though.

Amy said:
I'm excited to read it as well. DO you have an etsy shop?
oh. You're in the UK? Cruds.
Cruds?!

Amy said:
Amy said:

Nice!

crud (krd)
n.
1. Slang
a. A coating or an incrustation of filth or refuse.
b. Something loathsome, despicable, or worthless.
c. One who is contemptible or disgusting.
2. A disease or ailment, imaginary or real, especially one affecting the skin.
3. Sports Heavy, sticky snow that is unsuitable for skiing.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service