We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I just read my first zine a few days ago, and I loved it.

I really would love to make one, and purchase some more to read if I could...
However, i have no idea where to start.

Advice would be helpful...
please.

Views: 16

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Microcosmpublishing.com is a great place to order zines from. There's a chapbook called "Stolen Sharpie Revolution" that's a great little guide to publishing a zine. It's currently sold out at most distributors (which zine fans call distros), but if you search around a few places still have it. It's generally around $5.
Current zine distributors that i highly recommend:

Learning To Leave A Paper Trail
Stranger Danger
Parcell Press
Sweet Candy
Click Clack (This one is mine, and not open QUITE yet, but will be soon!)
Zine World is a great resource too. Check them out at http://www.undergroundpress.org/

On this networking site, I'd say join some groups that interest you, read and respond to the forums, and contact folks who have zines you want to buy. I've found most folks I've contacted here very friendly and helpful.
Also available at Microcosm is a book (i think it's $7) called Make A Zine! that functions much like Stolen Sharpie. It's a great starting point for people interested in making zines or getting more involved in zine culture.

Other than that, check out the New issue announcement thread on here and order/trade stamps with people who's zines seem to interest you. The best way to get into zines i've found is to start networking. It's all about reading, writing, correspondence, and fun!
Write what you like, don't worry about the tastes and dictates of other people, and put that shit out, post-haste!! There's an audience for everything, although it may take some time to find it.

The only way to get started is to, well, get started. There is nothing new under the Sun, so take all of the aspects you like best about other publications and mold them into something of your very own. I think you'll find your niche pretty quickly.

It took me far too long to discover such sage wisdom. I hope I've been able to help.
Hey Alli

Obviously you should start by buying my stuff - link!

But on a more serious note, what kind of zine do you want to make? Do you know, or do you just want to do *something, anything*?
Hi Alli! Welcome to " the zine world."

I have been making zines for 12 years and I learned so much just from that act of doing. Never do anything because you think it's what other people will like or what other people are doing. COme up with something your truly passionate about no matter how big or small the audience might be and go for it. I am a feminist who loves horror moves so I make a feminist horror zine. I thought people would never dig it but six years later i'm still doing it and its great. So always follow your passions. Also, there is no rules at all about layout. Don't let anyone tell you different. Do whatever the fuck you want. And don't ever beat yourself up about anything. Every mistake you make (and you will make tons) will be the best learning experience ever. Only ten years into zine making to I sorta feeling like I know what i'm doing ;)

Just be kind and patient with yourself and express your thoughs with out shame.

And trade, buy, go to librarys read read read zines and see how different and amazing they are. Find the ones that mean the most to you and connected the people who wrote them. Develop connect/relationships with zinesters, they love it.

xoxo, Hannah Neurotica
www.axwoundzine.com

Email me anything! lickmylit@gmail.com
eeesh sorry about all the typos!

Hannah Neurotica said:
Hi Alli! Welcome to " the zine world."

I have been making zines for 12 years and I learned so much just from that act of doing. Never do anything because you think it's what other people will like or what other people are doing. COme up with something your truly passionate about no matter how big or small the audience might be and go for it. I am a feminist who loves horror moves so I make a feminist horror zine. I thought people would never dig it but six years later i'm still doing it and its great. So always follow your passions. Also, there is no rules at all about layout. Don't let anyone tell you different. Do whatever the fuck you want. And don't ever beat yourself up about anything. Every mistake you make (and you will make tons) will be the best learning experience ever. Only ten years into zine making to I sorta feeling like I know what i'm doing ;)

Just be kind and patient with yourself and express your thoughs with out shame.

And trade, buy, go to librarys read read read zines and see how different and amazing they are. Find the ones that mean the most to you and connected the people who wrote them. Develop connect/relationships with zinesters, they love it.

xoxo, Hannah Neurotica
www.axwoundzine.com

Email me anything! lickmylit@gmail.com
Hey Alli,

Oh, lots of great advice so far! I was in the same boat you were (just recently) and I got a book called "Whatcha Mean, What's a Zine?"
by Mark Todd and Esther Watson. I checked it out from my library and decided to buy it (Half.com). Funny enough, I just found a copy on Google Library for your immediate read: http://books.google.com/books?id=EFOCN78CTIkC&dq=whatcha+mean+z...

FYI: I think it's on "limited preview", not downloadable

Anyhoo, I felt it gave me a gentle and encouraging introduction to creating my own zine, complete with typos and mini-comics. Maybe some veteran zinesters have already reviewed this book here?

peace,

-fLee
http://DerbyGirl.Org

P.S. Even after finding the electronic copy on the googs lib I still feel the $5 I spent on the used hard copy was worth it.

P.P.S. There's also a Noobs group in this community you might want to check out

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service