We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I think I've lost my mind.

There's a guy selling an AB DICK 360 offset press not far from me.  This is the offset press that I learned how to pring on in high school.  It's also similar to the one that we used at a print shop I worked at after after high school.

Anyway, he's selling it for a good price, and there's another guy selling a digital plate maker for a decent price as well.  I'm seriously thinking about getting it.

I have a back room in my house that I've kind of set up as an art/print room.  I have 2 copy machines, an hp designjet 600, my epson 1400, my heat press, stencil making stuff, screen printing stuff, stamp making stuff, uhhh, a pinball machine.. overhead projector (for making giant stencils).. Is adding a 900 pound offset press the last straw?  Is this what certifies me insane?!?!

Views: 783

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Guess what?!?!

BAM!!!  Got the press!

Unfortunately when the guy cancelled on me yesterday, I had to cancel picking up a platemaker from another guy.. soooo, now I'm waiting to hear back from him to see if he still has it.. by tuesday, my next day off, I should know if I'm able to get some prints off of it!

I have zine called DIY Printer Wannabe.  I'd like to send you issues 1 & 2.  Do you have a physical address I could send them to?  I'd love to see anything you get off your machine.

I worked in offset printing for about 25 years and ran many different kinds of presses including the A.B. Dick 350 and 360 presses. I highly recommend this press. I very seldom had any major problems with them and most of that was a lack of maintenance by the company who did'nt want to spend the money for preventative maintenance. Keep me posted on your experiences with it and feel free to ask me any questions that may come up. I agree that printing for other zines is a good idea, except that you should charge at least what the local copy machines charge (about nine-cents a side for 8 1/2 X 11" paper currently. You will need money for printing inks, chemicals, and new rollers eventually.

Bummer on not scoring the press. Here's the info on Drop Target pinball zine:

http://droptargetzine.blogspot.com/p/drop-target-shop.html

Microcosm also carries it, but I did the combo order of the first two issues directly from the publisher.

@James N Dawson -  I'll send you a private message with my address!  I'd love to see your work!

@Malcolm R JOhnson -  I wanted the 360 not just for its small size, but also for the fact that it's so simple.  No computers no digital anything, just rollers and mechanics.  Can't wait to get it up and running fully.   Glad to know there's someone out there with that much experience on the old presses, don't be surprised when I come bugging you for advice!

@Dan 10 things - I actually did end up getting the press after all, todays the first day i'll get around to turning it on though, been working ever since I picked it up.  I get off at 3 today and I'm heading straight home to make some noise!  I'm checking out Drop Targets site as we speak, gonna definately order a few issues.  Thanks for the tip!

Dan 10things said:

Bummer on not scoring the press. Here's the info on Drop Target pinball zine:

http://droptargetzine.blogspot.com/p/drop-target-shop.html

Microcosm also carries it, but I did the combo order of the first two issues directly from the publisher.

Do you make your zine using a home printer? I ask because what you said sounds like me before I discovered that you can refill your own printer ink cartridges for soooo much cheaper. What I do is buy refill ink by the ounce and refill the cartridges myself with a syringe (which usually comes with ink refill kits, along with directions on how to go about refilling your cartridges at home). Kits go for around 10 or 15 bucks on amazon (search for 'printer ink refill kit' or 'black ink refill') and last for a ridiculously long time.

Sorry if this reply is sort of random (or I completely misunderstood what you meant, lol), but worrying about how much ink I had left in my printer really used to hinder me in my own zine-making endeavors and I wish I had found out sooner that there's a DIY way to avoid all of that. :)

Cheering and Waving Press said:

hahah, sounds so amazing..i would love to be shown how to use one!! at the most i can only make 10 - 15 copies of my zines because ink cost me $25-30 dollars after tax...fucking expensive when most of my zines are all free. if you get things up and running i would love to pay you to print me off some mass copies!! cant wait to see photos (:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service