We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

As a distro I often wonder how people would like to buy zines, so I thought I would ask:

Paypal button?

Etsy?

A secure Paypal paying online store?

Views: 83

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've gone on about this in another discussion so I hope I'm not beating it to death, but yesterday I tried PayPal on an online (non-zine) order and it said something like "We cannot process PayPal at this time". Every once in a while it will tell me I need to connect it to my account, even though I've done that a billion times, then suddenly "co-operate" after x number tries. So sometimes my PayPal orders seem to go through okay, and sometimes they don't, and I don't know why. It's not a huge tragedy, but my experience is that it's not always *that* convenient. I'm all for people using options that work for them, and if that's PayPal, GREAT! But it would be *nice* if most or all zinesters provided a "luddite" option too. I'm not going to hate them forever if they don't. I'm just saying it would be *nice* (especially for those of us with a tendency to get tangled up in in "technical snags".
I love Paypal buttons - it's simple, and looks nice and neat.
I just bought a book on line, at A1 Books. First, I tried buying with my PayPal. It said:

We are not able to process your payment using your PayPal account at this time. Please return to the recipient's website to complete your transaction using their regular checkout flow. (This happens often, and on high-speed connections too.)

Okay. I went back and looked at my options. A1 had their own credit/debit card payment method. But first I had to register. I did that. I was told my data was in error. Somebody with my e-mail was already registered. Okay. That was me. How am I supposed to remember all these places I've registered with and bought from? It may be easy for you, but not for me. I logged in, and it indicated I WAS logged in. Then I tried to check out again. It said there was nothing in my shopping cart. I went back and added my book again and it brought up my cart. Now it had TWO books in it (because there already WAS one in there, which they said there WASN'T). I deleted the extra one I'd just added. (No delete option as there are in many "shopping carts", so I just blanked out the "quantity box".) Proceeded to checkout. Told me I had to ACTIVATE my account with them. If I was already logged in and I'd already ordered from them in the past (which I did, the book I'd bought was right there on the screen) why did I have to "activate" my account. Wasn't it already "active"??? But---I complied with their "instructions". Updated my several-years-old information. Pressed continue. Told to finalize order. Did it. Went through.

Total time: One half hour, AT LEAST.

Total time if I'd just written a check or enclosed cash and addressed and stamped an envelope: 5 minutes, IF THAT MUCH.

'Nuff said.
This has nothing to do with the technology to purchase online. This is just a really crappy website that doesn't explain their system properly.

James N. Dawson said:
I just bought a book on line, at A1 Books. First, I tried buying with my PayPal. It said:

We are not able to process your payment using your PayPal account at this time. Please return to the recipient's website to complete your transaction using their regular checkout flow. (This happens often, and on high-speed connections too.)

Okay. I went back and looked at my options. A1 had their own credit/debit card payment method. But first I had to register. I did that. I was told my data was in error. Somebody with my e-mail was already registered. Okay. That was me. How am I supposed to remember all these places I've registered with and bought from? It may be easy for you, but not for me. I logged in, and it indicated I WAS logged in. Then I tried to check out again. It said there was nothing in my shopping cart. I went back and added my book again and it brought up my cart. Now it had TWO books in it (because there already WAS one in there, which they said there WASN'T). I deleted the extra one I'd just added. (No delete option as there are in many "shopping carts", so I just blanked out the "quantity box".) Proceeded to checkout. Told me I had to ACTIVATE my account with them. If I was already logged in and I'd already ordered from them in the past (which I did, the book I'd bought was right there on the screen) why did I have to "activate" my account. Wasn't it already "active"??? But---I complied with their "instructions". Updated my several-years-old information. Pressed continue. Told to finalize order. Did it. Went through.

Total time: One half hour, AT LEAST.

Total time if I'd just written a check or enclosed cash and addressed and stamped an envelope: 5 minutes, IF THAT MUCH.

'Nuff said.
If a website is well done then I don't really care. I'll shop online and pay paypal, but I have nothing against ordering through the mail either. The only place I won't shop is Etsy. I refuse to shop there.
Paypal for me, I live in Zambia so cash isn't going to work here. I am still experimenting with the postal system here, sending items out seems fine, but receiving items is a bit hit and miss. Especially parcels.
I echo your views on etsy.

Alicia said:
If a website is well done then I don't really care. I'll shop online and pay paypal, but I have nothing against ordering through the mail either. The only place I won't shop is Etsy. I refuse to shop there.
paypal button, usually, or etsy. Both are a lot easier, and I have a tendency not to trust online stores I don't know.
cash or paypal..
As a minor I can't use paypal or etsy without going to my dad and giving him money and sitting next to him to make sure he buys the right thing. It's annoying to him and I hate making him annoyed so I would rather send money in the mail. That way it's totally in my hands.
Cash or paypal. Of course I would rather trade for a zine over the cash any day.
Paypal or cash through the mail

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service