We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

The 1st issue of my new zine project revolves mostly on identity, so i'd like either the cover or a page of the zine to be a "mirror" but then again a real mirror would weigh too much (ergo high shipping cost). Any ideas onw hat material would show reflection?

at first i was thinking of just using foil... but 1) i havent thought of how to stick it on the page and 2)it may also tear too easily and may crumple--the creases wont look good.

any ideas/suggestions would be awesome!

Views: 36

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can get this plastic mirrory sticky back plastic stuff. I've forgotten exactly what it's called, but I've seen it used in childrens books before. It's basically a preglued mirror foil you can cut to any shape.
i think i know what you're talking about. and i think we used to make cheering pompoms out of them... i'll be sure to look into it. thanks!

ericnboyd said:
The one thing that comes to mind may be trying to use metallic or a reflective sheen gift wrap paper. You may try scouring a Hobby Lobby or Michael's if either are in your area. Also, if you do find this type of gift wrap, odds are good you may find purple, green, and blue hues, possibly red or pink as well.

It may not be much help but is the one thing that came to mind. Good luck.
do they have these in craft stores? or are they only in specialty stores or something? i live in a tiny city that has close to nothing... XD

Emma Jane Falconer said:
You can get this plastic mirrory sticky back plastic stuff. I've forgotten exactly what it's called, but I've seen it used in childrens books before. It's basically a preglued mirror foil you can cut to any shape.
There are two things that I can think of that might work. I've seen large sheets of mirrored poster paper at craft stores, and maybe dollar stores.

The other thing is the mirrored sticky plastic stuff. I've seen that at a hardware store where they sell similar stuff in different patterns for lining shelves.
M
this is exactly what I was going to suggest.. about the mirrored poster. I use it on my house models for my classes, and it works pretty well. It's cheap, and go on with glue.. but you have to consider that you would need to cut each and every mirror out. Sounds like a neat idea, though! :)

Misti Ko said:
There are two things that I can think of that might work. I've seen large sheets of mirrored poster paper at craft stores, and maybe dollar stores.
The other thing is the mirrored sticky plastic stuff. I've seen that at a hardware store where they sell similar stuff in different patterns for lining shelves. M
what about metal tape? It's pretty reflective, has an adhesive back, and comes on rolls about 2" wide. Most hardware stores will have it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service