We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

How to align a double-sided mini zine for print??

I need to print a bunch of mini zines (1 double-sided sheet of paper each) and I'm doing test-prints at home before bringing it to a print shop, but I can't get it to work properly; either I print it to the edge and have to hand-(re)draw the top and side edge, or I have it print it a bit smaller and completely, but not aligned with the back side because the program leaves a small blank space on one side.

This zine was created on a normal piece of paper and scanned, so I don't see what the problem is. I need to resolve this problem by Thursday, so thanks in advance for any help!

Tags: mini, print, zine

Views: 101

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is your scanning program set to the right paper size? Maybe it's set to A4 instead of letter or vice-versa. Scanning software also often gives the option to adjust the size with a crop box. If you scanned them as image files you could also crop them after the fact. If you scanned them as PDFs then you can still crop them after the fact but you'll need a PDF editor; I'm not sure what (if anything) is out there for free software. You could see if you know anyone in business or the arts who has Adobe Acrobat (not Acrobat Reader) or an equivalent program. In a pinch you could send it to me to crop and send back.

Also, printing your zine at smaller than original size will likely throw off your layout, sort of sucking everything toward the spine (I think you'll see what I mean), but you'll probably be able to live with it. Leaving larger margins in future will of course avoid the problem; I don't remember what I normally use on smaller zines but on half-letter I usually use 0.35". I've gotten away with 1/4-inch margins, and half-inch is quite safe but will likely look too big on a small zine.

Good luck!

(PS. I'm here via the group message you sent to Mini-Zine Folks. Those emails can't be replied to -- I had to find your profile, which luckily linked to this discussion.)

It sounds like the scanner is pushing it over.

Remember you can put the document onto a flash drive and take the flash drive in to the printer and they can do it at their end.  This would bypass your scanner entirely.

Mini-zines/mini-comics are fun. I've done several and they always get attention.  I'd found the instructions posted online at this site -- http://www.sequentialtart.com/archive/dec03/art_1203_2.shtml  The part 1 and 2 at the bottom give you a great printed out mini-comic.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Xerography Debt / History Zines

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service