We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

How many copies of your zines do you print/photocopy?

Hello!
I've printed 50 copies of my first issue, but the second will be 100 because it's a split zine, 50 for both of us. So, what about you? And how do you decide?

Oh and sorry if the subject has already been discussed, but I'm pretty new here and there are 692 discussions...

Views: 152

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yeah but for some people 10-30 copies of a zine is A LOT and it is making an impact. even printing five copies of a zine is making an impact because you never know where those five copies are going to end up or who they are going to reach or inspire.

Dan 10things said:
I would like to openly challenge anyone doing zine runs of 10-30 issues to double their next print run. You're going to so much work to create your zine, and to provide your own unique voice and perspective in the world of publishing--which let's face it gets more and more consolidated every day--that it's a crying shame that your zine doesn't reach more people. Even a few dozen more people. Try printing more issues, sending more out for review, and growing your audience and reach. Make an impact with your DIY publishing venture, even if it's small. Gawd knows the world needs more independent voices.
I haven't printed any yet, but my plan is to list out all the reviewers I'm going to send it to, who's trading, etc., then sell a couple on etsy.com and then if people still want 'em I'll print more.
Not everyone makes it their goal to have a super-popular zine with a 10,000-copy print run. There are different definitions of "success."

For the past few issues of both my zine and my comic, I've done fifty to start. Then runs of 20-30 as I need them. I don't keep really accurate count of things (though I'm getting better at it now that I have a distro), but the second issue of the zine wound up running around 130 copies. I was going to make more this month but then I found out my flats had yellowed and half fallen apart! I should have used tape instead of rubber cement, but I love the smell of rubber cement so much. But then I decided that the zine really didn't speak to me anymore so when it's gone it's gone. Just be organic and let your "market" determine how many copies you make. You can always make more copies (at least if your flats are intact), but having 200-some zines a few years from now that may not represent you anymore? Not good.
plus it gets really expensive. I have a bunch of quarter sized envelopes that I used to use for mailing out cards, so if I do a 20 page quarter zine then I might even be able to post it with a 42 cent stamp...

Erica S. said:
Not everyone makes it their goal to have a super-popular zine with a 10,000-copy print run. There are different definitions of "success."

For the past few issues of both my zine and my comic, I've done fifty to start. Then runs of 20-30 as I need them. I don't keep really accurate count of things (though I'm getting better at it now that I have a distro), but the second issue of the zine wound up running around 130 copies. I was going to make more this month but then I found out my flats had yellowed and half fallen apart! I should have used tape instead of rubber cement, but I love the smell of rubber cement so much. But then I decided that the zine really didn't speak to me anymore so when it's gone it's gone. Just be organic and let your "market" determine how many copies you make. You can always make more copies (at least if your flats are intact), but having 200-some zines a few years from now that may not represent you anymore? Not good.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service