We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

How do you make your zine fest display look nice?

Hey everybody. I've been doing more zine fests and craft fairs recently, and I have a few coming up soon. I'd appreciate hearing about what you all have done to display your zines and books. I always just lay the zines flat in stacks, and that looks just fine of course, but it would be nice to mix it up a bit. People who sell crafty wares always seem to have such creative displays, and then I feel like my table looks sort of limp and sad by comparison. I don't feel it makes much sense for me to buy commercial display racks and stuff, but there must be something I can make or repurpose. Can anyone help?

Views: 1873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Beards and cakes are a potentially messy combination so you're right to be concerned.

Quelle coincidence, I almost broke my "try not to respond to posts on We Make Zines" rule earlier today in order to respond to your duck post. It was a dandy!

TimT said:

I usually take cakes along because they seem to make everything look more attractive. But then most people don't seem to eat the cakes I take along! What, is it because I have a beard?

It's good to feed the vegans though. I was at a fair last year and I was chatting to a scrawny-looking kid in dreads. I offered him a biscuit and he refused. At that point I cried, 'IT'S VEGAN!' And he immediately turned around and took a biscuit. Didn't buy a zine, but he did take a biscuit.

Tablecloths, you say? Excellent idea.

This is so super informative. I just did my first table thing as a distro. Going in, I was really concerned about having enough stuff to fill up a table, but as soon as I started laying stuff out, I could see that I had brought too much. Something I did to help was to organize zines by size. 

Also, I'm a balloon artist by trade (that's what I do for a living) and I make this balloon caterpillar sometimes at gigs to display my business cards. Since I almost always have balloons on me, I made the caterpillar, and stuck stickers and postcards in the folds to display them. And since the event was at a bar, I borrowed some shot glasses from the bartender, and used those to hold 1" buttons. The show was kind of a bust, but I met some cool people, and learned a little about organizing my table. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service